The role of the executive branch. Legal history. Generational shifts in the electorate. And global politics. What does it all mean for you, your community and the world?
As an MSU Denver Political Science student, you will study America’s political system and processes, individual behavior, nation-state behavior and comparative political systems and methods. Plus you will be exposed to the politics of the United States and international relations and comparative politics, all while building critical perspective, analytical proficiencies and communication skills that will help you understand and grapple with complex local, national and global affairs.
The Political Science program will also connect you to real-world local, state and national politics. MSU Denver offers extensive internship and cooperative education opportunities that prepare you for careers in government, law, journalism, business or wherever you see yourself working to improve the status quo. In fact, 30% of our majors participated in an internship by the time they graduate. And our classes are not limited to our borders, as you can enroll in faculty-led study-abroad courses as well.
The Department of Political Science offers a myriad of career-ready degrees:
- Political Science Major, B.A.
- Political Science Major, B.A. with Secondary Education Social Studies Endorsement
- Minor in Leadership Studies
- Minor in Legal Studies
- Minor in Native American Studies
- Minor in Political Science
- Minor in Public Affairs and Administration
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
The Department of Political Science delivers all the academic content you expect from a minor while also bringing to the table everything that’s unique about MSU Denver’s people and Denver’s political community. Students here have the advantage of the following unique opportunities:
• Enjoy attending classes on a vibrant and diverse downtown campus that’s located only minutes from the Colorado Capitol Building.
• Benefit from small classes, extensive interaction with faculty dedicated to your success and the convenience of evening course options.
• Participate in a variety of special activities, including prelaw advising and an educational summer program in Washington, D.C.
• Join MSU Denver student chapters of the National Political Science Honor Society (ΠΣΑ) and the Political Science Association.
• Learn and work in the Golda Meir Center for Political Leadership, a nonpartisan educational project that gives international visibility to MSU Denver.
• Get involved in co-curricular projects sponsored by the department, such as the Model United Nations and a variety of events, from movies in our media lounge to lectures by leading academics and practitioners from around the world.
• Intern with various organizations that can serve as stepping stones to employment and jumpstart your professional career in political science.
An Ideal Complement to Any Major
Students seeking a Minor in political science at MSU Denver complete 21 semester hours (seven courses) in the Department of Political Science. The minor provides an ideal complement to a variety of majors, from those in STEM fields seeking to understand the policies driving their innovations, to art and humanities majors desiring to further explore public interests, to social science majors with an interest in applying their knowledge in the public sphere, and business majors who recognize the potential of social entrepreneurship.
“I decided to pursue a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning and Policy. The Political Science faculty at MSU Denver actually had a lot to do with that choice! I had taken the Urban Politics class in 2014. It was super memorable and was actually one my favorite classes during college. After some time to reflect on what I wanted to do next, I decided to go forward with this program, considering how much I loved that class.”
-Jazmin Vega, Political Science Major, MSU Denver Class of 2018.
American National Government
Political Systems and Ideas
Conducting Political Analysis
Introduction to International Relations
Introduction to Public Administration
American Constitutional Law
International Political Economy
Applied Political Research Lab