Master of Arts in Teaching, MAT
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) programs at the Metropolitan State University of Denver are designed for people who already have a bachelor’s degree and want to earn their master’s degree and teacher licensure at the same time.
Whether you’re a new college graduate who wants to teach or interested in changing careers, MSU Denver’s MAT programs will prepare you for today’s diverse classrooms in the areas of elementary education or special education. Both programs will give you the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed as a contemporary educator as well as satisfy requirements for Colorado state licensure. We also offer both MAT concentrations as Alternative Licensure Programs.
As an MSU Denver MAT licensure candidate, you will study child development and pedagogical methods, and put your newfound knowledge to work in the classroom. The ultimate goal of the MAT program is to help you become a master teacher and leader in your classroom and community.
In addition to our MAT program, we offer a graduate-level certificate program for Autism and Significant Support Needs. This certificate is geared toward Special Education teachers who wish to expand their training in autism and significant support needs.
For more information, please contact the School of Education directly at email@example.com, by calling (303) 615-1777, or by visiting our website at www.msudenver.edu/education. We look forward to hearing from you!
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
At MSU Denver, you will study with faculty who are excellent teaching models and mentors, and who will help you become the kind of teacher who is committed to learning and growing throughout your career. In the MAT program, you will:
- Take classes that are convenient for working adults. Most graduate education courses are offered in the evenings, on weekends, and/or in partially-online formats.
- Earn your degree affordably: MSU Denver’s MAT is one of the most affordable Master of Arts in Teaching programs in Colorado.
- Learn in small classes and receive personalized support and advising from faculty.
- Study on MSU Denver’s vibrant, diverse campus in downtown Denver, with easy access to public transportation.
- Begin growing your professional experiences in classrooms from your first semester by engaging extensively with teachers and students in classrooms throughout the Denver metro area.
- Showcase your unique professional knowledge by designing an individualized final project.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
Because of the excellent reputation of MSU Denver’s education programs, graduates of our MAT program enjoy a placement rate of 80 percent or better, and get teaching jobs across the metropolitan Denver area, including Denver Public Schools, Cherry Creek School District, Jefferson County Public Schools and more.
Hear from our students:
“Teaching kindergarten in a Title I school with a large population of language learners comes with challenges, but I feel well prepared after graduating from MSU Denver’s MAT program. My education was so connected to what I now experience on a daily basis; I am still reflecting on coursework and conversations with professors to help me think about my teaching approach every single day.”
-Betsy Maletz (MAT Graduate), kindergarten teacher North Star Elementary, Adams 12
Alumni at Work
- Adams 12 School District
- Aurora Public Schools
- Cherry Creek School District
- Denver Public Schools
- Jefferson County Public Schools
- and many more!
- Field Experience: Teaching and Learning K–6 (includes 55 hours of field experience)
- Differentiated Instruction and Collaboration
- Integrated Methods of Teaching Science, Health and Mathematics: K–6
- Individualized Education and Curriculum
- Assessment and Methods for Emotional and Behavioral Disorders (includes 30 hours of field experience)
Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE)