Department of Political Science
One Major. Five Minors. Endless possibilities to shape your world.
The Department of Political Science at Metropolitan State University of Denver offers a major in Political Science, as well as five minors. Situated in the heart of Denver, with access to myriad opportunities to experience the reality of politics and public service, our Department offers a high quality education that positions students for careers in a variety of fields, as well as rigorous preparation for graduate studies and law school. Taught by dedicated and award-winning teacher-scholars, our courses provide theoretical understanding, substantive knowledge, and analytical skills in the areas of American politics, Public Law, International Relations, Comparative Politics, Public Policy and Data Analysis.
We look forward to being an active part of your future education and to help you reimagine what is possible, and hope that you will contact us to learn more about our program by scheduling a visit soon!
“I now manage the sustainable agriculture and rural development policy portfolios for Congressman Fortenberry (R-NE), which is especially cool because he is the ranking member of the Subcommittee on Agriculture on the Appropriations Committee. I am also about to graduate with my masters in agro-terrorism. The education I received from the Political Science Department at MSU Denver supersedes my Master’s education, and has definitely helped me in my career.”
Mariel Bailey, Political Science Major
MSU Denver Class of 2016
The Political Science Program Allows you to Reimagine Possible
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
The Department of Political Science delivers all the academic content you expect from a BA program while also bringing to the table everything that’s unique about MSU Denver’s people and Denver’s political community. Students here have the advantage of the following unique opportunities:
- Enjoy attending classes on a vibrant and diverse downtown campus that’s located only minutes from the Colorado Capitol
- Benefit from small classes, extensive interaction with faculty dedicated to your success and the convenience of evening course
- Participate in a variety of special activities, including prelaw advising and an educational summer program in Washington, C.
- Join MSU Denver student chapters of the National Political Science Honor Society (ΠΣΑ) and the Political Science
- Learn and work in the Golda Meir Center for Political Leadership, a nonpartisan educational project that gives international visibility to MSU
- Get involved in co-curricular projects sponsored by the department, such as the Model United Nations and a variety of events, from movies in our media lounge to lectures by leading academics and practitioners from around the world.
- Intern with various organizations that can serve as stepping stones to employment and jumpstart your professional career in political.
Career Opportunities for Our Graduates
Earning a BA in political science from MSU Denver prepares students for further graduate studies or for careers in public and private sectors including state, local and federal governments and their agencies; public policy; law; business; journalism; foreign service and international organizations; and secondary and college education.
Learn more about careers avaiilable with a political science degree at MSU Denver's Career Services.
It's Possible Here...
Whether it be in the classroom, the workplace, and from local to international venues, our graduates have gone on to great things. Here is a sample of placements in post-baccalaureate programs:
- Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies
- New York University
- University of Denver Korbel School of International Studies
- American University School of Law, Washington, C.
- Fordam University School of Law, New York
- University of Colorado School of Public Affairs
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, MO
- George Washington University Graduate School, Washington C.
From Denver to the World, our graduates work in a variety of positions in the following organizations:
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice
- National Council of U.S.-Arab Relations, Washington, C.
- Peace Corps, Mongolia
- United State Congress
- Teach for America
- Colorado General Assembly
- The City of Denver
- S. Treasury Department
- Swedish Embassy of Indonesia
- State Senate
- State House of Representatives
- American National Government
- Political Systems and Ideas
- Conducting Political Analysis
- Political Theory
- Introduction to International Relations
- Introduction to Public Administration
- American Constitutional Law
- Environmental Politics
- European Politics
- International Political Economy
- Applied Political Research Lab