Tuition and Fees
Business and Finance
PDF Version: BOT Tuition and Fees Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy requires that the Trustees of MSU Denver approve tuition and fees in accordance with Colorado Commission on Higher Education (CCHE) policies and applicable State of Colorado statutes. This policy authorizes and requires the Chief Financial Officer to submit proposed tuition and fees annually to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Scope: This policy applies to the Chief Financial Officer and Budget Office.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Financial Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Budget Director
- Responsible Office: Budget Office
- Policy Contact: Budget Director, 303-605-5314
The Board of Trustees has the responsibility and authority to set tuition and fees in accordance with the policies established by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education.
- The Chief Financial Officer shall annually submit a recommended tuition and fee schedule for the upcoming fiscal year to the Board for review and approval as part of the operating budget-setting process. While the timeline and format of such presentation may vary, the schedule shall compare proposed tuition rates and structure and all fees with the previous year’s charges. Appropriate justification and support materials must accompany the presentation.
- Changes to the student fee structure must be approved by the Board. The Trustees intend that the President or designee consult with the student government in establishing rates and allocating funds related to student activity fees prior to submission to the Board. Student fees may not be used to support academic instruction, and increased academic fees may not be used to minimize tuition rate proposals by shifting tuition increases to special fee increases. Mandatory student fees shall be used to fund activities and services open to all students. The proposed distribution of funds among the various student activities and a comparison with previous years’ budgets will be submitted to the Board for review and action.
- Fees and related budgets are to be submitted to the Board for review and action. Specific fees listed include but are not limited to: Application; Health Services; Tuition; Bond; Transcript; Student Activity; Placement Service; Laboratory; Drop/Add; Deposit.
IV. Policy History
- Approved by: Board of Trustees
- Effective: April 1, 2019
- Revised: This policy supersedes section 4.2 of the MSCD Trustees Manual, 2007.
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every five years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.