Travel Expense Allowance for Trustees and Administrative Staff
Business/Finance and Facilities
- Authority: C.R.S. 23-54-102, et seq. (2002) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs.
- Purpose: This policy allows the Trustees and administrative staff of MSU Denver to be reimbursed for travel expenses in compliance with the State of Colorado's fiscal rules.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver Employees and Units
- Responsible Executive: President
- Responsible Administrator: President
- Responsible Office: President's Office
- Policy Contact: President's Office, 303-615-0060
III. Policy Statement
Consistent with fiscal rules of the State of Colorado (Chapter 1, Section 1), all official travel by Board members and administrative staff must be for the benefit of the State. All travel should be completed at the most economical and reasonable cost.
Out of State Travel
The Board Chair shall be responsible for granting prior written authorization for all out of state travel for Board members. The President or his or her designee shall be responsible for granting prior written authorization for all out of state travel for administrative staff. The Out of State Travel Request and Authorization form should be submitted with the travel reimbursement voucher.
Rental or Lease Car
Authorization to rent or lease a car from a private concern will be granted only by the Board Chair or President, as applicable, or his/her authorized designee. Renting or leasing a car should occur only when no state vehicle or privately owned vehicle is available or practical to use.
Types of Expenses That Are Reimbursed
Appropriate documentation (receipts) of expenses for which reimbursement is sought is required for the following:
- Registration fees for conferences and seminars
- Official telephone calls
- Commercial transportation costs
- Rental car cost
- Tips of more than 15 percent
- Meals (if charges exceed amounts authorized by state fiscal rules), including tips
- Other appropriate expenses
Documentation is not required for the following:
- Mileage for use of a private vehicle
- Tips up to 15 percent
- Meals (if charges do not exceed amounts authorized by state fiscal rules), including tips
IV. Policy History
- Effective: November 9, 2007
- Approved by: Board of Trustees
- Source: MSCD Trustees Manual, 2007, Section 4.6