Definition of a Student
PDF Version: Student Definition Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees have authorized the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy defines the terms student and attendance.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Student Affairs Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Registrar
- Responsible Office: Registrar's Office
- Policy Contact: Registrar's Office, 303-556-3991
III. Policy Statement
The term student includes persons admitted to or enrolled at the University, and those who may not be currently enrolled but who have a continuing relationship with the University. All students will adhere to the Student Code of Conduct.
Student academic records are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Academic record protection begins no later than the time a student has begun attending class at the University. Attendance includes, but is not limited to:
- Attendance in person or by paper correspondence, videoconference, satellite, internet, or other electronic information and telecommunications technologies for students who are not physically present in the classroom; and
- The period during which a person is working under a work-study program.
IV. Related Information
- MSU Denver Privacy of Student Records Policy
- Registrar's Office Information on FERPA, msudenver.edu/registrar/ferpa
V. Policy History
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: 2016; 2012
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.
- Approved By: President