PDF Version: Special Registration Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The MSU Denver Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The MSU Denver Trustees authorize the MSU Denver President to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy outlines students' options to enroll in interinstitutional, pooled, and remedial courses at the University of Colorado-Denver and the Community College of Denver.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver undergraduate students.
II. Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible Executive: Chief Student Affairs Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Registrar
- Responsible Office: Registrar's Office
- Policy Contact: Registrar's Office, 303-556-3991
III. Policy Statement
MSU Denver and the University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver) have formed a common pool of courses available to students at each institution. Students must register for pooled courses through their home institution.
MSU Denver Students:
Must comply with all MSU Denver policies, procedures and deadlines when registering for, withdrawing from or dropping CU Denver pooled courses;
May not be placed on a wait list for any CU Denver pooled course; and
Must comply with CU Denver course prerequisites. Prerequisite courses are provided at CU Denver.
CU Denver pooled course titles and grades will appear on the MSU Denver transcript and will count in the GPA and hours toward graduation; however, CU Denver pooled courses will not satisfy academic residence requirements for degrees from MSU Denver. This restriction applies to the residence requirements of the overall degree (30 semester hours minimum), the major (8 upper-division semester hours minimum), and the minor (3 upper-division semester hours minimum). This restriction does not apply to Physics (PHY) courses. Credit for CU Denver pooled courses will not count towards the 50 resident semester hours required for Honors.
Interinstitutional registration applies to MSU Denver students taking courses at the Community College or Denver (CCD) and to CCD students taking courses at MSU Denver. Interinstitutional application deadlines are published in the academic calendar. During any semester, a student may not be registered interinstitutionally for more than 50% of the total number of hours carried for that term.
For MSU Denver students:
MSU Denver students may register interinstitutionally for a maximum of 9 credits; however, students may not register for more interinstitutional credits than they are taking at MSU Denver.
MSU Denver students wishing to enroll at CCD must obtain the Interinstitutional Application and registration forms from the Office of the Registrar. Students should ensure that the coursework is transferable to MSU Denver by receiving approval from their academic department.
MSU Denver students are restricted from registering for:
- Certain Colorado Community College (CCC) Online classes at CCD
- Online or off-campus classes at CCD
- Remedial classes through the interinstitutional registration process
Interinstitutional courses will not satisfy academic residence requirements for a degree from MSU Denver. The total number of community college credits applicable to a degree from MSU Denver is 64, which includes interinstitutional and transfer credit. Only courses transferable to MSU Denver will apply toward a degree.
For CCD students:
Students from CCD are not eligible to register for online courses or off-campus courses offered at MSU Denver South, including correspondence and tele-courses.
CCD students may not place their names on waitlists for closed classes at MSU Denver.
CCD students are restricted from registering for CU Denver Pooled Courses.
Interinstitutional students enrolled at MSU Denver will be charged all extra fees such as additional class fees, etc.
Community College of Denver (CCD) - Basic Skills Courses
The Community College of Denver offers college Basic Skills Classes available to MSU Denver students needing additional preparation in the area of mathematics.
CCD basic skills courses will not apply toward MSU Denver degree requirements or GPA.
MSU Denver students registering, withdrawing or dropping CCD basic skills courses are expected to comply with all MSU Denver policies and deadlines.
Prior to registering for any preparatory CCD classes, students must consult with their MSU Denver academic advisor to determine appropriateness of the class(es).
Classes will be posted on your MSU Denver academic record and will include semester hours and the grade/notation earned. CCD will also post the course, semester hours and grade earned on the CCD academic record.
Tuition and fees for these classes will be paid to MSU Denver.
IV. Policy History
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: 2016; 2015; 2013; 2012; 2011; 2009
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.
- Approved By: President