Selective Service Registration Certification
PDF Version: Selective Service Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees have authorized the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy requires certain students to register for the U.S. Selective Service prior to receiving federal financial aid and to enrolling at the University.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver students.
II. Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible Executive: Chief Student Affairs Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Registrar
- Responsible Office: Registrar's Office
- Policy Contact: Registrar's Office, 303-556-3991
III. Policy Statement
As of July 1, 1993, any male student who fails to register for the Selective Service will be ineligible for federal student aid, according to the Military Service Act (Public Law 97-252).
Colorado Revised Statute 23-5-118 (selective service registration prerequisite to enrollment) requires all males between the ages of 18 and 26 to certify that they have registered with Selective Service before enrolling in any state-supported institution in Colorado. Any male who has not registered by his 26th birthday will be ineligible to enroll at the University.
A Selective Service registration hold will be placed on the student’s account until the student registers with Selective Service at sss.gov and provides a Selective Service Certification Form to the Office of the Registrar.
IV. Policy History
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: 2012; 2011
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.
- Approved By: President