Selection of the University President
PDF Version: BOT Selection of the University President Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy describes the search and selection process for the University President.
- Scope: This policy applies to the University President.
- Responsible Executive: Chair, Board of Trustees
- Responsible Administrator: President
- Responsible Office: President's Office
- Policy Contact: President's Office, 303-615-0060
III. Policy Statement
The selection of the President is solely the responsibility of the Board of Trustees. The Board will seek the advice and participation of the campus and community in identifying and evaluating Presidential candidates.
A. Search and Selection Procedures
When the position of President becomes vacant, the Board of Trustees shall adopt search and selection procedures appropriate for filling the vacancy. Presidential searches will comply with Trustee equal employment opportunity policies and Colorado state statutes.
In the event that a President shall be absent from the position for a period of 30 days or longer, but is expected to return, the Board may appoint an acting President with the authority to administer the University during the period the President is absent.
If the position of President is to be vacant while a search for a new President is proceeding, the Board may appoint an interim President to serve until the new President takes office.
The Board, in its discretion, may fill a Presidential vacancy without a search by appointing a President for a defined term or series of defined terms. A search shall be conducted to fill the Presidency at the end of the defined term(s), if the appointment is not renewed. The President who was appointed for the defined term(s) shall be eligible to be a candidate for the Presidency.
IV. Policy History
- Approved by: Board of Trustees
- Effective: April 1, 2019
- Revised: This policy supersedes section 7.4 of the MSCD Trustees Manual, 2007.
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every five years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.