Respect for Rights of Others
PDF Version: Respect for Rights of Others Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The MSU Denver Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The MSU Denver Trustees authorize the MSU Denver President to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy requires students to respect the rights of others and to conduct themselves in a mature, responsible, and civil manner.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Student Affairs Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Dean of Students
- Responsible Office: Dean of Students Office
- Policy Contact: Dean of Students Office, 303-615-0220
III. Policy Statement
The student assumes certain obligations of performance and behavior while attending MSU Denver. Based on this premise, reasonable policies, procedures and regulations have been developed to guarantee each student’s opportunity to learn and to protect the fundamental rights of others. MSU Denver students neither gain nor lose any of the rights and responsibilities of other citizens by virtue of their student status.
As members of an academic community, students are expected to conduct themselves in a mature and responsible manner. Students should try at all times to promote a sense of cooperation and civility within the University and work to build an atmosphere that will be most conducive to the goals of higher education within the institution.
Students, while within University facilities or while participating in University-sponsored activities (on-campus and/or off-campus), are expected to comply with University rules and regulations and with the regulations of off-campus sites.
IV. Policy History
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: 2012
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.
- Approved By: President