Operational Mission Statement
PDF Version: BOT Operational Mission Statement
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: MSU Denver's operational mission statement guides the ongoing operations and strategic planning of the University in accordance with C.R.S. § 23-54-101 and Higher Learning Commission accreditation criteria 1A-D.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver employees, students, and community members.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Executive Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Chief Executive Officer
- Responsible Office: Office of the Chief Executive Officer
- Policy Contact: Chief Executive Officer, 303-615-0060
III. Policy Statement
Metropolitan State University of Denver is a comprehensive, baccalaureate and master's degree granting, urban, non-residential “College of Opportunity.” With its modified, open admission policy, the University welcomes students from all walks of life and circumstances, including all levels of academic preparation consistent with statutory guidelines. In addition to degree-seeking students, non-degree students seeking opportunities for continuing education are welcomed.
The University is a teaching institution where excellence in teaching and learning is accorded the highest priority. The University seeks to attract and build long term relationships with a highly qualified faculty and staff with diverse interests and abilities. As partners in the University's fulfillment of its mission, faculty, staff and student participation through inclusive leadership is encouraged and valued.
Student success, supported in a collegial atmosphere of academic freedom, is of paramount importance and all members of the University community seek to inspire students to strive for the highest level of future achievement. The University seeks excellence in all programs and activities and evaluates the attainment of excellence utilizing measures focused on the knowledge, skills and understanding students gain during their educational experience with the University. A successful college experience enables students at MSU Denver to achieve their specific educational goals.
The University offers programs and courses in the letters, arts, sciences, professional and business disciplines. The University is committed to a liberal arts foundation for all students by which each graduate develops the ability to communicate and reason effectively as a culturally and economically literate citizen in a multicultural, global and technological society. The University seeks to provide its programs and services to a diverse student body in an environment of quality, accessibility and affordability. Mutual respect, creative endeavor and scholarly inquiry, within and among all University constituencies, are expected.
The University provides students with an enriching education that leads to rewarding careers, prepares them for post graduate study, enhances the quality of their lives, and enables them to be well educated, critically thinking citizens who contribute and participate in meaningful ways in community and civic life. Partnerships with the University's Foundation, Alumni Association, non-profit agencies and service organizations, corporations, businesses, civic and governmental agencies, as well as the community at large, assist the University in fulfilling its mission. Institutional priorities are established in accordance with the interests and needs of students, faculty, staff, employers, and the citizens of Colorado.
IV. Related Information
- C.R.S. § 23-54-101. University established—role and mission.
- Higher Learning Commission Criteria for Accreditation, Criterion 1A-D: Mission.
V. Policy History
- Approved by: Board of Trustees
- Effective: April 1, 2019
- Revised: This policy supersedes section 1.1 of the MSCD Trustees Manual, 2007.
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every five years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.