Military Leave for Students on Active or Inactive Duty
PDF Version: Military Leave Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The MSU Denver Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The MSU Denver Trustees authorize the MSU Denver President to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy states the rights and responsibilities of students who must take a leave of absence from the University due to being called to active or inactive duty in the military or national guard.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver students called to active or inactive duty in the U.S. military.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Student Affairs Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Registrar
- Responsible Office: Registrar's Office
- Policy Contact: Registrar's Office, 303-556-3991
III. Policy Statement
Members of the State or National Guard, Reserve, or active United States Military, who are called to active or inactive duty (e.g. drill, annual training) will not be academically penalized for that service. When a military student is notified of being called to duty, the student must notify all instructors and Veteran and Military Student Services.
Students activated may have different options, depending on the time of semester the student is called to duty and length of duty. In consultation with the student's faculty member, options may include:
- Completion of any missed work without penalty to their grade provided that satisfactory academic progress is being made;
- Administrative Withdrawal; or
The student is required to present proof of training schedule, official orders or letter from the service member’s unit to Veteran and Military Student Services. Veteran and Military Student Services will then contact each instructor and obtain the requirements for course completion. The requirements will be sent to the student and kept on file.
Veteran and Military Student Services, Tivoli 215, 303-615-0440, firstname.lastname@example.org.
IV. Policy History
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: 2018; 2014
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.
- Approved By: President