Legitimate Academic Interest to Attend a Course
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The MSU Denver Trustees authorize the MSU Denver President to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy requires students to have a legitimate academic interest to attend a course. The policy includes examples of a legitimate academic interest.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Student Affairs Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Registrar
- Responsible Office: Registrar's Office
- Policy Contact: Registrar's Office, 303-556-3991
III. Policy Statement
To attend a class, students must have a legitimate academic interest (e.g., be officially registered, waitlisted, auditing a course, enrolled through CU Denver pooled program, etc.). Individuals may not attend a class if they do not have a legitimate academic interest.
Officially registered means that students have been accepted for admission by the University, and that the Course Reference Number (CRN) for the class is entered on the student’s registration record. The deadline to register for a full-semester class is the census date, specified on the academic calendar. There are pro-rated deadlines for all other courses outside of the full-term courses. Undergraduate students who qualify for the College Opportunity Fund (COF) and register after the census date will not be eligible to receive the COF stipend.
IV. Policy History
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Approved by: President