Last Date of Attendance
Academics and Research
PDF Version: AA Last Date of Attendance Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver, who subsequently authorizes the Provost, to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to the academic functions of the University.
- Purpose: This policy requires faculty members to report the last date of attendance for any student who receives an unsatisfactory or failing grade in the faculty member's course.
- Scope: This policy applies to faculty and students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Academic Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness
- Responsible Office: Academic Affairs Office
- Policy Contact: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness, 303-615-1900
III. Policy Statement
Faculty who report a “U,” “UE,” or “F” grade to a student for any reason will report the student’s last date of attendance when entering grades online.
For reporting purposes, the last date of active participation in the class will be considered the last date of attendance, which must be one of the following:
- Physically attending or participating in class (such as a class activity)
- Submitting an academic assignment
- Taking a quiz or exam, interactive tutorial, or computer-based instruction
- Attending a school-assigned study group
- Participating in online discussions about academic matters and/or initiating contact with faculty to ask questions about subject matter
Active participation does not include:
- Logging into an online course without active participation
- Academic counseling
If a student never attended class, the date of the first day of class will be reported as the last date of attendance.
IV. Policy History
- Approved by: Provost
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.