PDF Version: BOT Athletics Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy describes rules and requirements regarding the University's intercollegiate athletics program.
- Scope: This policy applies to the University's intercollegiate athletics program.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Executive Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Chief Athletics Officer
- Responsible Office: Athletics Office
- Policy Contact: Chief Athletics Officer, 303-615-0888
III. Policy Statement
- Preface: The Board of Trustees considers intercollegiate athletics an integral part of the role and mission of the University. Intercollegiate athletic programs are part of the overall educational plan of the University.
- Level of Competition: NCAA-Division II status is appropriate for the University.
- Athletic Fees: Athletic fees represent the primary source of revenue for the operation of intercollegiate athletic programs at the University. The Board of Trustees must approve setting of all athletic fees, any portion of which is used to support any aspect of the University's intercollegiate athletics program. Athletic fees must be determined in accordance with applicable CCHE procedures and guidelines.
- Control of Intercollegiate Athletics
- The Athletic Department of the University shall be administered by an Athletic Director, who shall report to the President. The Trustees endorse the continuation of the Athletic Advisory Council to monitor (1) academic performance of student athletes and their progress toward graduation; and (2) the commitment of the athletic program to NCAA compliance, academic integrity, fiscal integrity, and equity.
IV. Policy History
- Approved by: Board of Trustees
- Effective: April 1, 2019
- Revised: This policy supersedes section 6.2 of the MSCD Trustees Manual, 2007.
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every five years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.