Full-time and Half-time Status
PDF Version: Full-time Status Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The MSU Denver Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The MSU Denver Trustees authorize the MSU Denver President to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy defines the number of credits, or semester hours, undergraduate students must enroll in to attain full-time and half-time status to be eligible for financial aid and health insurance coverage.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver undergraduate students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Student Affairs Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Registrar
- Responsible Office: Registrar's Office
- Policy Contact: Registrar's Office, 303-556-3991
III. Policy Statement
The following number of semester hours are required for undergraduate students to meet full-time and half-time status for fall, spring, and summer semesters:
- Full-time: 12 or more semester hours
- Three-quarter-time: 9-11 semester hours
- Half-time: 6-8 semester hours
- Less than Half-time: 5 semester hours or less
To complete a degree in four years or eight semesters, students may need to take at least 15 semester hours per semester. For financial aid purposes, 12 semester hours is the full-time standard for the summer semester. To be eligible for health insurance coverage, students must be enrolled in nine or more credit hours in the fall or spring semester.
IV. Policy History
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: 2018; 2015; 2012; 2011; 2009
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.
- Approved By: President