Purpose: This policy allows undergraduate, degree- and certificate-seeking students to exclude credits and grades from GPA calculation after a designated period of absence from the University.
Applies to: Undergraduate Degree- and Certificate-seeking Students
Responsible Executive: Vice President for Student Affairs
Responsible Administrator: Registrar
Responsible Office: Registrar's Office
Policy Contact: Registrar's Office, 303-556-3991
Students returning from a period of absence from MSU Denver may request that credit and grades from designated semesters previously attempted at MSU Denver not be calculated in GPA or total earned hours.
If such a “Fresh Start” is approved, all courses from designated semesters will appear on the official academic record but will be annotated to indicate they do not count for academic credit or GPA calculation.
This Fresh Start will be granted once, for a period of at least one semester, with a maximum of 54 credit hours, under the following conditions:
- The student must have not been enrolled at MSU Denver for three (3) consecutive calendar years. This policy shall only apply to designated semesters in which the student earned a GPA of 2.0 or below, which have not been applied to the completion of an MSU Denver degree or certificate, and which were attempted prior to the three year absence.
- The student must be in good financial standing with MSU Denver at the time of application.
- The Fresh Start policy may only be used once in a student’s entire MSU Denver career.
- An approved Fresh Start shall not be reversed.
- The student must declare a certificate or major program before applying for Fresh Start and work with an academic advisor to complete an application.
Effective: November 2016, June 2016
Source: University Catalog, catalog.msudenver.edu