Duties and Responsibilities of the University President
PDF Version: BOT Duties of the University President Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy states the duties and responsibilites of the University President.
- Scope: This policy applies to the University President.
- Responsible Executive: Chair, Board of Trustees
- Responsible Administrator: President
- Responsible Office: President's Office
- Policy Contact: President's Office, 303-615-0060
III. Policy Statement
The President of the University is responsible to the Board of Trustees. Within the policies and regulations of the Board and of other state and federal authorities, the President of the University, as chief executive officer, has general authority and responsibility for the University and for keeping the Board of Trustees informed regarding the University in a timely and appropriate manner.
The President is expected to demonstrate those leadership skills necessary for the dynamic pursuit of the goals and objectives embodied in the mission of the University. The President is also expected to understand the higher education needs of the University's service region, work with the Board to develop proposals for meeting those needs, and provide leadership to foster cooperation between campus and community in fulfilling the University's teaching, research, and public service responsibilities.
The President is expected to consult appropriately with faculty, students, classified staff and administrators in discharging the responsibilities of the office. The President is also expected to ensure that the policies, procedures and actions of the Board are communicated to appropriate constituencies of the University in a timely manner.
As chief executive of the University, the President is charged with the following specific responsibilities:
- Exercising effective leadership in a joint effort with the Board to implement the mission of the University, as delineated in role and scope statements approved by the Board.
- Providing effective leadership and support for an academic program that is consistent with the University mission, the needs of those being served, sound standards of quality, and available resources.
- Providing effective leadership and support for a program of student life that complements the academic program and recognizes the diverse interests and needs of the student body.
- Developing a competent administrative organization and staff to ensure effective and efficient management of the University.
- Maintaining lawful, equitable and efficient personnel programs, including: appointment of qualified persons to the faculty and staff and promotion, retention or dismissal for cause of the same. These programs should function in accordance with Board policies and Handbook with due regard for the best interests of higher education and the State of Colorado.
- In addition to any budget formula established by the Board, recommending to the Board annual operating and capital budgets and other plans, financial and otherwise, for realizing the University mission, and providing sound management of the approved budgets and plans. Budgets should reflect priorities of the University and facilitate their achievement.
- Communicating the needs of higher education to the governor, legislators, CCHE, other state and local officials, and citizens of the state in concert with the Board.
- Interacting with appropriate external bodies, including state and national accrediting groups, and professional and athletic associations, to achieve the mission of the University in a manner consistent with Board policy, statutory and regulatory provisions, and sound academic principles.
- Development of an effective external relations and fundraising program for the University.
- Undertaking assignments requested by the Board.
- Demonstrating effective pursuit of the Board’s goals and objectives for both the current year and the long term.
The President is appointed by the Board and is an at-will employee of the University.
IV. Policy History
- Approved by: Board of Trustees
- Effective: April 1, 2019
- Revised: This policy supersedes section 7.1 of the MSCD Trustees Manual, 2007.
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every five years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.