Declaring or Changing a Major or Certificate
Academics and Research
PDF Version: AA Declaration of Major or Certificate Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver, who subsequently authorizes the Provost, to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to the academic functions of the University.
- Purpose: This policy describes the declaration of major and certificate process.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver undergraduate students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Academic Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness
- Responsible Office: Academic Affairs Office
- Policy Contact: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness, 303-615-1900
New students indicate their intended major on the MSU Denver Application for Admission. While students may select “Undeclared” as a major at the time of admission, all degree-seeking students must declare a major before completion of 45 credits. Degree-seeking students who transfer in more than 45 credits must declare a major before registering for a second semester. Degree-seeking students who wish to change a major and students pursuing a certificate program must complete a Declaration/Change of Major form, which is available from the major department or from the Office of the Registrar. Non-degree-seeking students who wish to declare a major must first change to degree-seeking status by completing a Change of Status form with the Office of Admissions.
IV. Policy History
- Approved by: Provost
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: March 2018, July 2012, March 1995
- Review: This policy wil be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.