PDF Version: Course Waitlist Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees have authorized the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy describes the course waitlist process and informs students of their responsibility to monitor email and to register for waitlisted courses within the allotted timeframe.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Student Affairs Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Registrar
- Responsible Office: Registrar's Office
- Policy Contact: Registrar's Office, 303-556-3991
III. Policy Statement
The course waitlist is typically an automated function. It may be available from the start of registration through the first week of class but varies by department. When an opening occurs in a course, the first person on the waitlist will be sent an email authorizing the student to register for the open seat. The email will inform the student how many hours they have to register for the course. This means that:
- The student needs to check msudenver.edu email account every day while on a waitlist.
- The student needs to check with the department regarding specific waitlist policies.
- When a notification is received, the student must register within the designated timeframe. For example, if the student has 24 hours, this means the student has 24 hours from the date and time of the automatically-generated email notice to register for the course. If the student does not register within the time allotted, the student will be automatically dropped from the waitlist.
Once the student is dropped from the waitlist, neither the Office of the Registrar nor the Department will be able to make exceptions for students who do not register for the class within the time period stated in the notification email.
IV. Policy History
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: 2018; 2015
- Review: This policy is to be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.
- Approved By: President