Course Credit (Semester Hours)
Academics and Research
PDF Version: AA Course Credit Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver, who subsequently authorizes the Provost, to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to the academic functions of the University.
- Purpose: This policy defines the unit of course credit as the semester hour, as well as the time required to equal one base contact hour of credit.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver undergraduate and graduate students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Academic Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness
- Responsible Office: Academic Affairs Office
- Policy Contact: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness, 303-615-1900
Course credit is based on units designated as semester hours. One semester hour or one base contact hour equals a minimum of 750 minutes; this equation translates to a minimum of 15, 50-minute class hours per semester. Time required for class preparation is not a consideration in the calculation of course credit. A three semester hour course will require approximately six to nine hours of work each week outside of class. Omnibus courses involving laboratory work give one semester hour of credit for each two, three or four hours of scheduled work in the laboratory during a week, depending on the course. Internships require a minimum of 2,250 minutes for each hour of credit.
IV. Policy History
- Approved by: Provost
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.