Communication between Employees and Students and the Board of Trustees
PDF Version: BOT Communication with the Board Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy defines a formal process for students and employees to communicate with the Board of Trustees.
- Scope: This policy applies to University students and employees, including faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Executive Officer
- Responsible Administrator: General Counsel and Secretary to the Board of Trustees
- Responsible Office: Office of General Counsel
- Policy Contact: Assistant Secretary to the Board of Trustees, 303-605-5364
III. Policy Statement
To enhance communication and to give prompt attention to concerns, the Board urges that internal mechanisms for the expression of the views of students and employees, which respect clear administrative lines, be established and maintained. Direct contact with the Board concerning issues affecting the University without prior discussion with appropriate persons on the campus denies the opportunities for conflict resolution at the appropriate level.
Parallel structures that confuse communication and exclude or circumvent appropriate administrators without giving them an opportunity to address the issues are destructive of morale, as well as contrary to common sense and the principles of good management. This policy, however, is not intended to inhibit communication between the University faculty and faculty trustee or the student body and student trustee.
Since access of students and employees to the Board should be accomplished only through an orderly and open process, it is Board policy that individual students and employees, including faculty, staff and administrators, who wish to be heard by the Board at an official meeting shall request to do so by signing up prior to any such meeting, indicating the topic to be addressed. The Chairperson shall have the right to deny any such request.
IV. Policy History
- Approved by: Board of Trustees
- Effective: April 1, 2019
- Revised: This policy supersedes section 1.13 of the MSCD Trustee Policy Manual, 2007.
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every five years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.