Catalog Selection for Academic Program Requirements
Academics and Research
PDF Version: AA Catalog Selection Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver, who subsequently authorizes the Provost, to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to the academic functions of the University.
- Purpose: This policy requires students to complete all components of their degree or certificate requirements using a single University catalog. The policy also states when a student may select a different University catalog than the one assigned at the time of acceptance to the University to complete degree or certificate requirements.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver undergraduate students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Academic Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness
- Responsible Office: Academic Affairs Office
- Policy Contact: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness, 303-615-1900
III. Policy Statement
In determining degree and certificate requirements, students are governed by the catalog in effect for the semester of acceptance to MSU Denver. Students may elect to follow any later catalog edition in effect while continuously enrolled at MSU Denver. The selected catalog must contain the student’s complete program of study, including, but not limited to, major, minor, concentration, and other graduation requirements. All degree and certificate requirements must adhere to current policies at MSU Denver.
Students who do not enroll in classes for three or more consecutive semesters must be readmitted to the University and are governed by the catalog in effect upon their re-acceptance. To complete a degree or certificate program under an earlier, qualifying catalog, the student must obtain authorization per the degree audit exception process used in the applicable College or School. The qualifying catalog must have been in effect during an academic year in which the student completed coursework at MSU Denver.
Students transferring to MSU Denver from a regionally accredited, Colorado community college may complete degree requirements under an MSU Denver catalog in effect while they were enrolled at the community college, subject to the following conditions:
- The student must select a degree catalog that does not predate the current catalog by more than three academic years. To complete a degree program under an earlier, qualifying catalog, the student must obtain authorization from the academic department offering the degree program.
- In order for the selected catalog edition to remain in effect, the student must maintain continuous enrollment at the community college and subsequent continuous enrollment at the University until the student completes the degree program at MSU Denver.
IV. Policy History
- Approved by: Provost
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: March 2018, November 2016, October 2015, March 1969
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.