Alternative Credit and Prior Learning Assessment
Academics and Research
PDF Version: AA Alternative Credit and Prior Learning Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver, who subsequently authorizes the Provost, to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to the academic functions of the University.
- Purpose: This policy allows undergraduate students to receive academic credit by demonstrating competence of learning achieved prior to enrolling at MSU Denver.
- Scope: This policy applies to MSU Denver undergraduate students.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Academic Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness
- Responsible Office: Academic Affairs Office
- Policy Contact: Associate Vice President for Curriculum and Academic Effectiveness, 303-615-1900
III. Policy Statement
The University may grant credit for prior learning, depending on the academic program, as verified by the following assessment methods:
- National standardized tests, including:
- Departmental Credit by Examination
- Portfolio Assessment
- Military training and Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE)
- Other training programs evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE)
IV. Related Information
Guidelines and standards for granting prior learning credit are available in the University Catalog, catalog.msudenver.edu.
V. Policy History
- Approved by: Provost
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: July 2017, November 2015
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.