Academic Program Approval and Discontinuation
PDF Version: BOT Academic Program Approval Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy provides guidance on approval of new and discontinued academic programs.
- Scope: This policy applies to academic programs and units.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Executive Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Chief Academic Officer
- Responsible Office: Office of the Chief Academic Officer
- Policy Contact: Chief Academic Officer, 303-615-1900
The Board recognizes that while it has the ultimate authority for approving curriculum, the faculty should play a proactive role in formulating curriculum for the Board’s consideration. The President shall develop policies and procedures for the approval of curricular items. Such policies shall conform to all requirements of statute and the CCHE, and shall be consistent with Board goals and priorities. The following curricular actions must be approved by the Board of Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver before becoming effective:
- New degree programs (Major)
- New or additional degree titles (B.A., etc.)
- New minors, concentrations, and certificates of completion
- Discontinuation of specific programs
V. Policy History
- Approved by: Board of Trustees
- Effective: April 1, 2019
- Revised: This policy supersedes section 5.3 of the MSCD Trustees Manual, 2007. Revised December 2016 to reflect Board delegation of authority to President to approve certain curriculum items; April 2017 to reflect terminology used by CDHE; November 2012 to allow temporary delegation of authority to President to approve program modifications.
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every five years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.