PDF Version: BOT Academic Freedom Policy
- Authority: C.R.S. § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) to establish rules and regulations to govern and operate the University and its programs. The Trustees retain authority to approve, interpret, and administer policies pertaining to University governance. The Trustees authorize the President of MSU Denver to approve, administer, and interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: The Trustees endorse academic freedom at the University in this policy.
- Scope: This policy applies to University employees, students and visitors.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Executive Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Chief Academic Officer
- Responsible Office: Office of the Chief Academic Officer
- Policy Contact: Chief Academic Officer, 303-615-1900
III. Policy Statement
The Board of Trustees endorses the principle of academic freedom, which means the freedom to fully discuss academic subjects; engage in research and publish the results of research; and write or speak as citizens without fear of institutional censorship or discipline, provided that individuals do not represent themselves as writing or speaking for the University.
IV. Policy History
- Approved by: Board of Trustees
- Effective: April 1, 2019
- Revised: This policy supersedes section 5.1 of the MSCD Trustees Manual, 2007.
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every five years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.