Orientation, Transition, and Retention (OTR)
Metropolitan State University of Denver
MSU Denver is a comprehensive, baccalaureate- and master’s-degree granting urban university that offers arts and sciences, professional and business courses and programs to a diverse student population in an atmosphere of mutual respect. Excellence in teaching and learning is MSU Denver's primary objective.
MSU Denver’s mission is to provide a high-quality, accessible, enriching education that prepares students for successful careers, post-graduate education and lifelong learning in a multicultural, global and technological society. To fulfill its mission, MSU Denver’s diverse university community engages the community at large in scholarly inquiry, creative activity and the application of knowledge.
Family Day 2017
MSU- Denver’s First Family Day took place on September 15th and it was a complete success. Students and their families came in to watch MSU-Denver’s Women’s Soccer Game vs. School of Mines (L, 0-2). Families and students were able to enjoy of both the game and activities that were provided by First Year Success, Student Activities, MSU Denver Athletics, Student Academic Success Center, and New Student Success.
Families and their students also had the chance to enter a scholarship and gift basket raffle. The gift baskets contained MSU Denver gear and the three scholarships that were awarded to students ranged from $1,000 to $2,500. Scholarships go towards any of their university expenses.
Congratulations to our winners!
Academic Resources on Campus
MSU Denver offers a number of resources for students to succeed in their courses. The MSU Denver Tutoring Center provides one-on-one and group tutoring sessions. All sessions are done on a walk-in basis during scheduled hours that can be found through the Student Academic Success page. Scheduling one-on-one sessions can be done by contacting the main Tutoring Center office.
Students are also encouraged to use the Writing Center for any organization within a writing project or learn how to proofread work. Workshops are also offered throughout the year in case students do not know exactly what it is that they might need guidance in, within their writing. The Writing Center is a great resources for all students and has different locations that students can choose from.
- Graduate School Day 8:30am – 12pm & 12:30pm – 4pm Tivoli 320
Thinking about graduate school? Learn about the application and financial aid process for advanced degree. Talk to representatives of MSU Denver graduate programs and other schools in the region. All are welcome.
Career Planning Meet-Ups will also be available October 18 & 25th
- Third Friday Art Walk 6 – 8pm
- In celebration of Disability Awareness Month, The Access Center,Auraria Library, and D-Phi would love to invite you to two upcoming All Access Pass film series events at the Library’s Discovery Wall:
- Tuesday, Oct. 24 at 2:00PM. The Manual Alphabet:Join us for a reading by Samuel Clare Knights of his PEN America Best Debut Short Story, The Manual Alphabet. The reading will be followed by a conversation about the nature of language and the author’s linguistic inheritance an individual with parents who are deaf. Visit Samuel Clare Knights and The Manual Alphabet to learn more.
- Women in STEM Conference - Intersectionality in STEM: Supporting All Voices 8am – 4:30pm St. Cajetan’s
Center for advanced STEM education. Women in STEM Conference. Researchers have long been studying the various reason why women are underrepresented in the STEM fields. This conference aims to not just address some of these reasons, but give our students, faculty, and staff the understanding and tools to help them succeed in their careers of choice.
Come and support the Roadrunners with your family and students. Tickets available here>
Upcoming games at The Regency Athletic Complex/Denver
- Men’s Soccer vs Westminster College (Utah) @ 4:00pm. Thursday October 26th.
- Women’s Soccer vs Regis University @ 11:00am. Saturday October 28th.
- Men’s Soccer vs Colorado Mesa University @ 1:30pm. Saturday October 28th.
Family Advice: From families to families- advice, stories, and support on how to help your student during their college experience.
As support, you play a vital role in your student's success at MSU Denver. As you learn how to best support your student, we hope that this website can share information that will help others in the Roadrunner family.
If you would like to share your advice, story, and/or support to other MSU Denver families, please email New Student Orientation at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your first name and city. If you wish to remain anonymous please indicate that in your email.
Submissions will be reviewed and posted by New Student Orientation Staff.