Skip to main content Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


Who can submit a proposal?

University policies for serving as a Principal Investigator (PI) are currently under review. Presently, faculty should request an approval from their department Chair, or contact the OSRP Director for further instructions. Staff should contact OSRP directly. Federal, state and local government grant submissions may only be submitted by an Authorized Organization Representative (AOR) from the OSRP staff.


When should I contact OSRP about my grant proposal?

Please contact OSRP as early as possible in advance of your anticipated submission. We recommend notifying OSRP of your intent to submit three months in advance of the grant proposal deadline. Grant proposal documents should be submitted to OSRP for review ten business days in advance of the deadline.


Does OSRP submit proposals to private funders?

Gifts and sponsored awards to the University are made in a variety of forms, reflecting the diversity of sponsors as well as their purposes. Sponsored awards from private funders are administered by OSRP. Gifts are administered by Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) in University Advancement.

The language used by a donor or sponsor in providing support is generally the source for making a distinction between a sponsored award and a gift. When in doubt, consult either OSRP or CFR. These offices will work together to make the final determination as to whether the award in question shall be treated as a sponsored award or a gift.

For more detailed inforamation refer to the Guide to Distinguishing Between Gifts and Sponsored Awards.


What are our DUNS and EIN numbers?

DUNS Number (Dun & Bradstreet Business Identifier): 059094321000

EIN (Employer Identification Number): 84-0559160


What is the Indirect Cost Recovery?

Our current Indirect Cost Recovery (ICR) is applied to grant budget Modified Total Direct Costs (MTDC) at the rates of: 33% on campus; 21% off campus

ICR constitutes reimbursement to the university of ordinary expenses related to facilities and administration needed to operate the university where the sponsored research or program takes place.  ICR is also known as Facilities and Administration (F&A) costs.

For more complete information on ICR click here.


What is our fringe benefits rate? 

Fringe rates, effective 7/1/2019 to 6/30/2020, are 29.6% for full-time faculty and staff, and 22.1% for affiliate faculty and classified staff.


Where can I find budget templates?

We have Microsoft Excel budget templates available for grants submitted to the National Science Foundation (NSF), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the US Department of Education (DEd). They’re designed with calculations built in for cost of living raises, fringe rates, Modified Total Direct Costs, Indirect Cost Recovery, and budget totals. In addition, each template is consistent with the corresponding agency’s online budgets forms, helping to make data transfer efficient between the internal and external systems.

The downloadable budget forms are available in the toolbox here.


How do I find institutional data?

OSRP staff compile boilerplate documents of institutional data that is commonly requested by grant agencies. It is updated semi-annually and is available on request.

In addition, MSU Denver Institutional Research offers a number of institutional databases, and MSU Denver Business Intelligence is available to create customized data reports upon request.


When do I need to conduct an Institutional Review Board (IRB) review?

All research involving human subjects must be approved by MSU Denver’s Institutional Review Board (IRB). Federal regulations require that all research projects involving human subjects be reviewed by an IRB. The IRB must approve or determine the project to be exempt prior to the start of any research activities. The IRB cannot provide approval or determinations for research that has already been concluded. If you are uncertain as to whether your project requires IRB approval, please contact the Human Subjects Protections Plan Manager at 303-605-5282 or


When am I required to complete a Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) form?

All Principal Investigators (PIs) must comply with the MSU Denver policy for Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) for Federally Funded Research Proposals, by completing and signing a FCOI form, and completing an online training session.

FCOI forms must be completed at the time of application for federal funding; at least annually, during the period of the award, beginning with the anniversary date of the award; and within thirty days of discovering or acquiring (e.g., through purchase, marriage, or inheritance) a new significant financial interest. 

Complete information is available here.



Edit this page