Skip to main content Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Common FAQs for the Department of Nutrition's undergraduate programs can be found on this page.

The Department of Nutrition offers a Nutrition Minor that complements a variety of majors including Biology, Health Care Management, Hospitality, Tourism & Events, Human Performance and Sport, and Integrative Health Care.

  • Professional health programs (i.e. medical school, physician assistant school)
  • Graduate studies in food or nutrition science,
  • Food safety specialist,
  • Nutrition research assistant or coordinator (i.e. academic, foundation, corporate- or government sponsored research),
  • Food product development scientist, Food industry positions (i.e. food labeling specialist, brand management, marketing and advertising, recipe testing)

One of the career options for a student majoring in Human Nutrition - Dietetics (HND) is to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN).

Steps to become an RDN include:

  1. Complete an ACEND accredited DPD program and obtain a bachelor's degree
  2. Apply for and complete an ACEND accredited internship program
  3. Pass a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) 

Yes, the Human Nutrition - Dietetics (HND) major includes a didactic program in dietetics (DPD) which has been granted Accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190, Chicago, IL 60606-6995, #312-899-0040 ext. 5400,

Yes, Starting January 1, 2024 the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) will require a minimum of a master’s degree to be eligible to take the credentialing exam to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN).

Yes! Students can apply for the Human Nutrition and Dietetics 3+2 Program which provides the opportunity to begin graduate courses alongside undergraduate study saving up to a full year of time and tuition.

Edit this page