Department of Nutrition
Internship Mission, Goals and Objectives
The mission of the MSU Denver Dietetic Internship is to prepare culturally aware and competent entry-level registered dietitian nutritionists to serve diverse populations within urban settings through the promotion of optimal nutrition, health and well-being.
The program aims to produce Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) who:
- provide quality service that is culturally sensitive and based on customer expectations and needs
- serve the profession and urban communities
- engage in life-long learning
Goals and objectives of the MSU Denver Dietetic Internship help interns meet our program mission.
Program Goal 1:
Dietetic internship graduates will successfully meet employment needs as entry-level dietitian nutritionists with diverse clients in urban nutrition settings.
- At least 80% of program interns complete program requirements within 15 months (150% of the program length).
- Of graduates who seek employment, 80% are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation.
- Eighty percent of program graduates take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
- The program’s one year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
- Ninety percent of employers who respond to a survey on program graduates in their first year of employment report “agree” or “strongly agree” regarding the graduate’s knowledge and skill preparation for entry-level practice.
- At least 80% of graduates who complete the 1-year post graduation survey indicate the program prepared them to work with culturally diverse populations.
- At least 50% of graduates who complete the 1-year post graduation survey indicate they are working or have worked with culturally diverse populations within 1 year of finishing the program.
- At least 80% of graduates who complete the 1-year post graduation survey indicate they attended at least two professional education events within the last year.
Program Goal 2:
Dietetic internship graduates will demonstrate their engagement with life-long learning.
- At least 75% of graduates who complete the 1-year post graduation survey indicate they actively engage in nutrition-related life-long learning through writing blogs, serving in leadership roles for professional associations, taking classes, writing articles, conducting research, giving presentations, etc.
The mission, goals, and objectives are monitored annually for program effectiveness. Program outcomes data are available on request. See the “Contact Us” section of the website for contact information.