Department of Music
Online Audition and Application Process
Welcome to the online audition process for the MSU Denver Department of Music. The online audition takes the place of a live, in-person audition.
Currently, ONLY STRING APPLICANTS (violin, viola, cello, and double bass) may use this online application process; all other instruments and disciplines will need to schedule a live audition.
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis, but please be sure to check the deadlines for the MSU Denver general application.
NOTE: Students who audition online and plan to take the Music Theory Placement Exam will still need to take the exam in person on the Auraria Campus on one of the following dates:
- Saturday, January 11, 2019 (for enrollment in Spring 2020 or Fall 2020 classes)
- Saturday, February 8, 2019 (for enrollment in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 classes)
- Saturday, April 18, 2019 (for enrollment in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 classes)
- Saturday, August 8, 2019 (for enrollment in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 classes)
The online application process is simple and easy! Before filling out the online application, please review the audition repertoire guidelines for your instrument (listed below). The next step is to make a video recording of the required repertoire and upload to a private YouTube channel.
- Step 1: Video recordings of audition repertoire and upload to a private YouTube channel.
- Step 2: Complete and submit the online application, including links to the YouTube videos.
- Applicants planning to enter a degree program in Spring 2019 must submit online materials by January 12, 2019.
- Applicants planning to enter a degree program in Fall 2019 must submit online materials by August 10, 2019.
Each string applicant must submit three videos demonstrating their playing. The videos must contain the following:
- One three octave scale of your choosing
- A piece or movement from the standard repertoire of your instrument, such as a movement from a concerto or sonata, unaccompanied solo, show piece, etc.
- A second, contrasting piece. A contrasting piece must differ in tempo, time period, composer, etc.
II. Recording Process:
- Choose a quiet location
- Any video recording device is acceptable. However, the video and audio must be clear and free of static or noise.
- Submit your best work!
III. Application Process:
- Upload your recordings to a private YouTube channel
- Complete and submit the Audition Application (below) including links to the private YouTube videos.
After an application is submitted, you will receive a message within 48 hours stating that the application was received and that the video links are accessible. Within three weeks, you will be notified of your acceptance status.