Saturday, January 6 (Auditions for this date are now closed)
Saturday, February 10 (Auditions for this date are now closed)
Saturday, April 7 (Auditions for this date are now closed)
Saturday, August 11 (Deadline to schedule is August 3)
Private instruction is available to music majors and minors only and is a major component of all music degrees. Students must demonstrate sufficient prior musical experience by passing an audition to be accepted into the private instruction program at MSU Denver. The audition for private instruction consists of three components: technical skills such as playing scales, performing prepared repertoire, and sight-reading. Requirements specific to each instrument are listed in Audition Requirements for Private Instruction.
Private instruction is currently available for the instruments listed below.
Qualification for Private Instruction
- Students must demonstrate sufficient prior musical experience by passing an audition in their instrument area.
- Students must be eligible to take Music Theory I (or higher) by either taking the Music Theory Placement Exam (offered on Audition Day), or by having completed Essential Music Theory Skills (MUS 1010) with a grade of C or higher.
- Students studying privately must also register for their instrument’s required major ensemble (MUS 381) and Recital Attendance (MUS 0200).
- Auditions are held in January, February, April, and August, and are valid for one calendar year (see audition dates above). The Monday prior to the Audition Day is the cut off date for scheduling an audition.
- Students must meet with an Intake Advisor in the Music Department prior to scheduling an audition. Contact either Anna Hegedus (303-615-1412) or Heather Collins (303-615-0307) to schedule an intake advising appointment.
- Once you have had your intake advising appointment, schedule your audition with the Music Office (303-615-1010). Audition confirmations with the exact times for your audition and theory placement exam will be emailed to you on the Monday prior to your scheduled Audition Day.
What to Expect
- Appropriate attire at the audition is expected.
- Auditions are approximately 12-15 minutes in length.
- Audition results will be emailed within the week following the audition.
- Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled audition time.
- A warm-up area will be available (percussion and drum set excluded); check-in with Music staff prior to the audition time.
Transfer students who have previously taken private lessons for college credit and wish to audition into an advanced level of lessons at MSU Denver should present a list of repertoire studied at the college level and copies of college transcripts to the audition panel.
If you believe you are not prepared to audition for private instruction, we encourage you to consult the coordinator of private instruction for your area in order to guide your own private study before auditioning. If you are uncertain whether you qualify for private instruction, we encourage you to perform an audition.
The ensembles listed below require a successful audition for participation. Ensemble auditions are generally held during the first week of classes each semester. For most ensembles, these auditions are discussed in the first meeting of the ensemble and then held at a subsequent class meeting.
For jazz combos, sign-up sheets will be posted on the bulletin board outside the music office (Arts 287) for auditions during the first week of class in the fall semester; combos will be formed after auditions.
For choir audition information and to sign up for a choir audition time, please visit the Choir Auditions page.
For orchestra audition information and to sign up for an orchestra audition time, pleave visit the Orchestra Auditions page.
For additional audition information, contact the appropriate ensemble director/coordinator (listed below).
MUS 3819 Chamber Music, contact Dr. Emily Ondracek-Peterson
MUS 381A Chorale (mixed choir), sign up online
MUS 381F Wind Ensemble, contact Dr. David Kish
MUS 381H Symphony Orchestra, sign up online
MUS 381I Jazz Ensemble, contact Ron Miles
MUS 381K Guitar Chamber Music, contact Alex Komodore
MUS 381L Piano Ensemble, contact Dr. Jooeun Pak
MUS 381M Jazz Chamber Music, contact Ron Miles
MUS 381P Opera, contact Gene Roberts
Non-credit Pep Band (paid, basketball season only), contact Dr. Michael Hengst