Department of Music
Saturday, January 11 (sign up by January 8)
Saturday, February 8 (sign up by February 5)
Saturday, April 18 (sign up by April 15)
Saturday, August 8 (sign up by July 31)
Private instruction is a major component of all music degrees. Students must demonstrate sufficient prior musical experience by passing an audition to be accepted into the private instruction program at MSU Denver. Requirements specific to each instrument are listed in Audition Requirements for Private Instruction.
Private instruction is currently available for the instruments listed below.
Qualification for Private Instruction
- Students must demonstrate sufficient prior musical experience by passing an audition in their instrument area.
- Students studying privately must also register for their instrument’s required major ensemble and Recital Attendance (MUS 0200).
- Students must meet with an Intake Advisor in the Music Department prior to scheduling an audition. Contact Heather Collins (303-615-0307, email@example.com) or Adriana Kilday (303-605-7140, firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule an intake advising appointment.
- Once you have had your intake advising appointment, schedule your audition with the Music Office (303-615-1010). An audition confirmation with the exact time of your audition will be emailed to you on the Monday prior to your scheduled Audition Day.
What to Expect
- Appropriate attire at the audition is expected.
- Auditions are approximately 12 minutes in length.
- Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled audition time to check-in with Music staff.
- Practice rooms will be available for warming up.
- Audition results will be emailed within the week following the audition. Auditions results are valid for one calendar year.
Transfer students with previous private instruction credits may audition into an advanced level of lessons. To audition into an advanced level of lessons, students must contact the director of their instrument area prior to Audition Day for additional audition requirements, and must present a list of repertoire studied at the college level and copies of college transcripts to the audition panel on Audition Day.
If you are uncertain whether you qualify for private instruction, we encourage you to perform an audition. If you believe you are not prepared to audition for private instruction, we encourage you to consult the director of your instrument area in order to guide your own private study before auditioning:
The ensembles listed below require a successful audition for participation. Ensemble auditions are generally held during the first week of classes each semester. Students interested in joining Chorale or Symphony Orchestra may sign up for an audition online. For other ensemble auditions, contact the ensemble director below to sign up:
MUS 3819 Chamber Music, contact Emily Ondracek-Peterson
MUS 3820 Chorale (mixed choir), sign up online
MUS 3825 Wind Ensemble, contact David Kish
MUS 3827 Symphony Orchestra, sign up online
MUS 3828 Jazz Ensemble, contact Dawn Clement
MUS 3830 Guitar Ensemble, contact Alex Komodore
MUS 3832 Collaborative Piano, contact Jooeun Pak
MUS 3829 Jazz Combo, contact Dave Devine
MUS 3833 Opera, contact Gene Roberts
Non-credit Pep Band (paid, basketball season only), contact Michael Hengst