MLK Peace Breakfast
Spirit of MLK Service Project
Annually in the Spirit of MLK MSU Denver participates in a service project to benefit the community. In partnership with Student Activities the MLK Peace Breakfast Committee will combine efforts to make an impact in our community as one aspect of the MSU Denver's Martin Luther King Jr Celebrations.
January 16, 2019
ILLUMINATE brings together MSU Denver students for a one-day experience designed to grow confidence and connections to create change in our local communities. A focus on empathy, not apathy will be highlighted throughout the experience.
- Students who participate in service are much more likely to report outcomes related to leadership such as consciousness of self, resilience, social perspective taking, and hope agency.
- Students at MSU Denver have positively responded to the off-site experiences and connections to community leaders.
- The program will be featured as part of the MSU Denver Martin Luther King Jr Celebrations also including the annual Peace Breakfast and the Denver Marade.
- Bring students at MSU Denver together
- Increase empathy practices in student leaders.
- Increase awareness of Denver-Area resources, organizations, and socially responsible leaders and organizations.
- Increase awareness of assets in addressing ongoing community challenges.
Wed. January 16th
- 8:30 am—Check-In and Breakfast
- 9:00 am—Large Group Teambuilding & Networking
- 9:30 am—Campus Welcomes
- 10:00 am—Ken Nwadike—The Free Hugs Project
- 11:30 am—Lunch & Networking
- 12:00 pm—Buses & Vans Depart for Sites
- 4:00 pm—Buses Return from Sites
- 4:30 pm—ILLUMINATE Closing Ceremony
Ken E. Nwadike Jr is a peace activist, inspirational speaker, and video journalist popularly known as the Free Hugs Guy. Ken is the founder of the Free Hugs Project, which gained popularity as Nwadike made major news headlines for his peacekeeping efforts and de-escalation of violence during protests, riots, and political rallies.