Mechanical Engineering Technology Program
As you tour our MET website, you will learn about the faculty, facilities, curriculum, and many other aspects of the department. We welcome you to our website.?
The MET program area houses three educational components:
- The bachelor of science extended major with a choice of two concentrations.
- Mechanical engineering technology minor.
The MET program offers the Bachelor of Science degree Major, which is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission (ETAC) of ABET, Inc. The educational approach is hands-on with 63 percent of the courses requiring laboratory work in addition to lectures. It is structured with two distinct concentrations: Manufacturing and Mechanical.
For those majoring in other MSU Denver majors the MET Program also offers a minor in Mechanical Engineering Technology.
MET students are encouraged to join national organizations such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). The ASME student branch hosted a national Human Powered Vehicle Challenge in May 1998. The SAE sponsors a similar competition called the MiniBaja in which the MET students also have competed.
Students are encouraged to enroll in an internship program through the University’s Internship Center such as Cooperative Education gaining valuable work experience.
The program education objectives for the MET Program have been identified as:
1. Be employed in an engineering or engineering related industry.
2. Perform engineering duties in industry with progressive responsibilities or proceed to graduate school.
3. Engage in lifelong learning and professional development by acceptance and attendance in classes or being active members in one or more professional organizations related to their field.
4. Function as a responsible member of society demonstrating professionalism in their work assignments and exhibit the following characteristics:
- Ethics, including commitment to honesty and integrity
- Quality performance and timeliness
- A willingness to learn new material and train and mentor fellow employees
5. Apply their technical leadership and communication skills in oral, written, visual and graphic methods to practice professionally in a collaborative, team oriented manner that embraces the multidisciplinary and multicultural environment of today’s business world.
Program Student Outcomes
The civil engineering technology program outcomes are consistent with the five ABET Criterion 3 outcomes, 1-5. Graduates of the undergraduate mechanical engineering technology program will have the following:
The program must have documented student outcomes that support the program educational objectives. Attainment of these outcomes prepares graduates to enter the professional practice of engineering. Student outcomes are outcomes (1) through (5)
- an ability to apply knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of mathematics, science, engineering, or technology to solve broadly-defined engineering problems appropriate to the discipline;
- an ability to design systems, components, or processes for broadly-defined engineering technology problems appropriate to the discipline;
- an ability to conduct standard tests, measurements, experiments and to analyze and interpret the results to improve processes;
- an ability to function effectively as a member or as a leader on a technical team;
- an ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in broadly-defined technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature.
For more information about ABET Accreditation visit out Accreditation page
Founded in 1965, Metropolitan State University of Denver has grown to nearly 24,000 students and educates more undergraduate Coloradans than anyone else in the state. Since nearly 75 percent of our alumni live and work in Denver and the state, you could say we specialize in fostering homegrown talent for the challenges of a new century. Anything but homogenized, you’ll enjoy a unique university experience, including all that the city and people from all walks of life offer.
The University balances the benefits of being one of the largest public universities in the country—and all the opportunities that creates—with the goal of giving you an individualized academic experience through: Classes of 22, not 200; Accessible professors; Targeted advisers; Industry mentors.
We know you have a choice of universities. We just believe we’re the best one if you want a real education in a real urban setting from committed experts who put you first. MSU Denver provides an amazing selection of majors, minors, certificate programs and even custom-degree options to meet any need or interest. We also offer evening, weekend and online courses to fit even the busiest schedules.
Because life goes on while you attend MSU Denver, it’s our goal to make sure you stay and complete your educational goals by offering support services such as financial aid, personal counseling, academic success programs, Roadways, and more.