Department of Modern Languages
- major in French: French_Major_I
- major in French and in Spanish or German, no minor required: French option II
- minor in French: French_Minor
- K-12 teacher licensure
- study-abroad program in Vichy
- proficiency-based: you will learn to speak, write read and understand French;
- interdisciplinary: we teach culture (in a broad sense), history, cinema, literature, social issues; if you minor in French, you can use your skills to acquire knowledge and expertise in your major;
- international: we cover the whole French-speaking world and have a study abroad program in France;
- relevant: we bring contemporary issues into all courses, from day one;
- innovative: we use the most recent technological and pedagogical developments to make your learning experience lively and effective;
- organized: every course is designed and taught as part of a cohesive program.
- get a real expertise in French communication (oral and written, cultural);
- use French as a tool to think, research, debate and get things done;
- learn other romance languages fast;
- get a initial experience in translation, a growing industry;
- write better in your native language.
- differentiate yourself form the rest of the workforce;
- be able to adapt and function in unfamiliar environments;
- communicate well with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- negotiate difficult tasks with an acute sense of initiative;
- analyze, evaluate, and assess cultural differences in professional settings;
- synthesize information;
- communicate with French-speaking customers;
- be worldly-wise, while knowing who you are.
Source : Alain-Philippe Durand, U. of Arizona, The French Review, Vol.86, N°6, May 2013.
Spend four weeks in Vichy and earn 6 university credits. Our next trip is scheduled for June 2017.
Live and work in France for a year
The Teaching Assistant Program in France offers you the opportunity to work in France for 7 months, teaching English to French students of all ages. Several MSU Denver student have taken advantage of this opportunity. Read
Among our alumni are former students who
- constantly use the skills they honed while studying with us;
- traveled to and lived in French speaking countries;
- teach French;
- attend and complete Graduate Programs in French, Comparative Literature and International Affairs.