Master of Business Administration (MBA)
International Student Support
Why Earn an MBA at MSU Denver?
MSU Denver offers a high-quality MBA at a low tuition rate. Our AACSB-Accreditation signifies excellence in faculty, teaching strategies, curriculum, and learning outcomes for students. Whether you are pursuing future employment opportunities in the United States or planning to bring your business acumen back to your home country, the MBA at MSU Denver is your home for an enhanced education in business and management.
The MBA program recognizes that securing a place to live remains a critical component of international student needs. Prospective students can find details on student housing options, apartment listings, craigslist and additional publications, and a roommate-finding application here.
Paying for the Program
MSU Denver offers some of the lowest tuition rates for any MBA program in Colorado. The MSU Denver College of Business recently approved a proposal to bring non-resident tuition rates within 10% of in-state tuition beginning in fall 2019. Other graduate programs in Colorado typically charge international students and non-residents of Colorado double the in-state tuition rates. Current tuition information is available here and will be updated for the 2019-2020 academic year in July 2019. Additional resources to finance your education include:
- International Student Scholarships
- The Denver Scholarship Foundation (DSF)
- Grants for International Students
Eligibility to Enroll in the MBA program as an International Student
All applicants who are non-U.S. Citizens or non-Permanent Residents of the U.S. must have the following to be considered for acceptance to the MBA program at MSU Denver:
- Official acceptance to the MSU Denver MBA program (see MBA Application Requirements below for details on how to apply)
- A valid I-20
- A valid F-1 visa
- A valid passport
- Proof of English language proficiency: MSU Denver accepts the TOEFL (minimum score of 76) or the IELTS (minimum overall band score of 6)
Exemptions for proof ofEnglish proficiency apply to applicants who:
- are lifetime residents of Australia, English-speaking Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the United Kingdom
- have completed the highest level of an accredited intensive English language training program
- have graduated from an American high school that they attended for at least two years
- hold an associate's degree (AA and AS only) from an American community college
- have completed at least 30 semester hours at a U.S. college or university and completed both of the required English composition courses (English 1010 and 1020) with grades of C or better
- have passed a U.S. General Education Development (GED) test
- submit an official SAT Critical Reading score of 440 or higher; or
- submit an official ACT Reading score of at least 17 and English score of at least 18
Applicants can find send specific questions to an international admission specialist: email@example.com.
MBA Application Requirements
a. Applicants will need to provide a resume to complete the form. Applicants can submit an updated resume anytime before the application due date.
b. The application includes a one-time, $50 fee.
2. A NACES-certified evaluation of the applicant's previous college degree
a. The evaluation should confirm that the applicant earned the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in the U.S.
b. The evaluation should include a report of course equivalents, and a Grade Point Average (0-4 scale).
c. While many degrees from outside the U.S. require only three years of study, commonly evaluation companies award four-year bachelor degree equivalents to those graduates. If you are unsure whether or not your degree will be considered as a four-year bachelor's degree, please contact a NACES-certified evaluation company directly.
3. A personal essay that addresses the following:
- the significant factors influencing your decision to pursue a Master of Business Administration degree;
- your relevant strengths, characteristics and professional and leadership experiences;
- your career plans and focus in the MBA program;
- why you believe MSU Denver’s MBA program is best suited for your educational and professional goals; and
- how you will manage the rigorous demands of graduate education.
4. Qualifying Documentation- All MBA Applicants are required to submit one of the following:
- Official GMAT Scores- Applicants can learn more about and register for the GMAT at www.mba.com
- Applicants should request that official scores are sent at the testing center on your test date. An admission representative will send a personal email to confirm receipt of your GMAT scores.
- GMAT scores typically take 8-10 days to receive.
- We do not accept GRE scores in lieu of the GMAT
- Professional Portfolio-
- Only applicants with five or more years of supervisory/managerial experience should submit a professional portfolio. The MBA Admission Review Committee will decline to review any application using a portfolio that does not showcase five or more years of substantial work experience after completion of a bachelor's degree.
- Proof of a Previous Master's Degree
- An official course-by-course evaluation must be provided for any previous master's or Ph.D. degree earned from outside the U.S.
To earn an MSU Denver MBA, students complete twelve three-credit hour classes. Current coursework and sample degree plans are available here. MBA classes most frequently occur on weekday evenings, once per week.
Diversity at MSU Denver
MSU Denver boasts one of the most diverse student bodies in Colorado. We have been honored with several awards and designations including:
- Diversity Champion Award recipient in 2016, 2017, and 2018 from Insight Into Diversity Magazine
- Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award recipient 2014-2018 from Insight Into Diversity Magazine
- MSU Denver is currently pursuing federal recognition as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI)
- MSU Denver became the first university in the United States to admit DREAM Act-qualifying students
Denver at a Glance
- Denver is the capital of Colorado, and the largest city in a 600 mile radius
- The city sits on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains at 5,280 feet above sea level, with access to parks, hiking trails, skiing/snowboarding, watersports, camping, bike trails and more in mere minutes
- Despite snowy conditions around our nearby ski resorts, Denver typically has 300 or more days of sunshine and an average winter temperature of 45 degrees Fahrenheit
Diversity in Denver
- 16% of Denver's citizens were born outside the United States
- 15 of Denver's 75 neighborhoods have a foreign-born population of 25% or more
- 34 Foreign Consulates calls the Denver Metro Area home
- Denver's Sister Cities include:
- Brest, France
- Takayama, Japan
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Karmiel, Israel
- Potenza, Italy
- Cuernavaca, Mexico
- Chennai, India
- Kunming, China
- Axum, Ethiopia
- Ulaanbaater, Mongolia
International Student Resources
- MSU Denver International Student Support
- General Campus Resources
- Auraria Campus Student Organizations
- Indian Student Association @ Auraria Campus
- African Student Union
- American Indian Business Leaders (AIBL)
- Association for International Students
- Association for Latino Professionals for America
- Chinese Cultural Ambassadors
- India Association of Northern Colorado (IANC)
- International Students Inc. @ Auraria
- Journey Through Our Heritage
- Latino and Chicano Art Student Association
- Latino Student Alliance
- MSU Denver Italian Club
- The Black Student Alliance
- The International Club