Master of Business Administration (MBA)
International Student Support for Prospective MBA Students
International Graduate Studies Admission
You are a graduate student if you have completed, or will complete, a four-year bachelor’s degree program or its equivalent at a college or university prior to attending MSU Denver. International students must complete the same admission requirements as domestic students in addition to the international student requirements. Additionally, international students must be full-time students, taking a minimum of six (6) credit hours per semester and pay the same tuition and fee rates as non-residents.
International Graduate Admission Checklist
All applicants who are non-U.S. Citizens or non-Permanent Residents of the U.S. must have the following to be considered for acceptance to the graduate programs at MSU Denver:
1. Apply.Create an account and submit your online graduate admissions application. The $50.00 application fee is due at the time of application.
2. Complete Additional Program Requirements.It is important that you review the admissions requirements for your academic program.
3. Submit Official Transcripts.You must submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Foreign transcripts MUST be received through a professional evaluation service:
- SpanTran is currently accepting and processing digital transcripts for students through this link: SpanTran Application - Metropolitan State University Denver
- Please note, our primary transcript evaluators, WES or ECE are non-operational due to COVID-19. We encourage all international students to use SpanTran.
- Request a course-by-course evaluation
- We highly recommend all servicers can send digital copies of their evaluation directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note MSU Denver campus is closed due to COVID-19. When campus reopens, servicers can send hard copies to the following address: Metropolitan State University of Denver, Academic Affairs/Office of Graduate Studies, 1201 5th Street, Campus Box 48, Denver, CO 80217
4. Official Proof of English Proficiency.* Submit one of the following:
- A minimum score of 76 on the internet-based (iBT) TOEFL
- A minimum score of 6.0 on the IELTS (Prefer E-Delivery system)
- A minimum score of 51 on the PTE
- The official completion of an accredited English as a Second Language (ESL) program
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university
- Have graduated from an American high school with attendance for at least two (2) full academic years
- Hold an associate's degree (AA and AS only) from a regionally accredited American community college
- Have completed at least 30 semester hours at a U.S. college or university and completed both the required English composition courses (English 1010 and 1020) with grades of C or better
MSU Denver school code is 4505.
*Proof of English Proficiency is not required for applicants who: Are lifetime residents of Australia, Belize, Great Britain, Botswana, Canada (except Quebec), Commonwealth Caribbean, Ghana, Great Britain, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, Singapore, South Africa, and Zimbabwe
5. Financial Support Documents.
- Complete the Affidavit for Financial Support OGS form
- Current official bank statement: affidavit or letter from your financial sponsor/s. Financial documents must be dated within six months of the first day of class for the semester you are starting at MSU Denver. They must be uploaded as a document through the application system. The bank statement must be equal or greater to $32,000, plus $10,000 per dependent on the day the currency conversion is made (If the bank statement is in a foreign currency).
6. Current Passport and Visa. If available at the time of application. If not available, your visa and passport must be provided at the new student orientation.
- *Current I-20: (International transfer students actively studying in the U.S. only) A SEVIS transfer form will be required by all transfer students after being accepted. The PDSO/DSO at your current school can complete this request. MSU Denver cannot issue you a new I-20 until this has been completed. MSU Denver I-20 Transfer Form. If you require a change of status, please contact International Student Support at email@example.com.
Next Steps: After all admissions requirements have been received by the academic program. The admissions committee will review your file and make an admissions decision. If an acceptance decision is made, the I-20 will be processed and sent to the address we have on record. You will receive a letter in the mail stating your admissions status. Mandatory international student orientation will be held the first week prior to the start of classes.
English as a Second Language (ESL) - support only
Applicants can send specific questions to the Office of Graduate Studies Admissions.
MBA Application Requirements
- Spring Admission
- International: September 1
- Fall Admission
- International: May 1
- A $50 nonrefundable application fee must be submitted in order for your application to be considered complete.
2. A NACES-certified evaluationof the applicant's previous college degree(s)
- The evaluation should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Submit one of the following Required Application Materials:
- Official GMAT Scores. Applicants can learn more about and register for the GMAT at www.mba.com
- Applicants should request that official scores are sent at the testing center on your test date. An admission representative will send a personal email to confirm receipt of your GMAT scores.
- GMAT scores typically take 8-10 days to receive.
- We do not accept GRE scores in lieu of the GMAT.
- Professional Portfolio.
- Only applicants with five or more years of supervisory/managerial experience should submit a professional portfolio. The MBA Admission Review Committee will decline to review any application using a portfolio that does not showcase five or more years of substantial work experience after completion of a bachelor's degree.
- Proof of a Previous Master's Degree.
- An official course-by-course evaluation must be provided for any previous masters or doctoral degree earned from outside the U.S.
4. Submit both Required Supplemental Documents:
- Your Resume
- Personal Statement / Essay
- The personal statement / essay is a critical part of your admission application and will be the basis for evaluation of your writing skills, capacity for self-awareness, and personal growth.
- Average length is between 2-5 pages.
- Please use a serif font (e.g., Times New Roman or Georgia),12 point font, and double space.
- Address the following information in your essay:
- the significant factors influencing your decision to pursue an MBA degree,
- your relevant strengths, characteristics, and professional and leadership experiences,
- your career goals,
- why you believe the MSU Denver MBA program is best suited for your educational and professional goals, and
- how you will manage the rigorous demands of graduate education.
Applicants can submit updated materials any time before the admission deadline. Admission decisions are typically returned to applicants within 4-6 weeks of the deadline.
For more details on the essay, portfolio, or GMAT exam, please email MBA@msudenver.edu.
Applicants who do not have either an undergraduate business degree or graduate business degree and have less than eight years of significant business and management experience will be required to successfully complete up to six online leveling modules prior to beginning MBA coursework. Each module takes 4–6 hours to complete and costs $49. Additional optional modules will also be available.
Please contact the College of Business Graduate Programs staff for any questions related to the leveling modules.
MSU Denver offers some of the lowest tuition rates for any MBA program in Colorado. The MSU Denver College of Business recently approved a proposal to bring non-resident tuition rates within 10% of in-state tuition beginning in fall 2019. Other graduate programs in Colorado typically charge international students and non-residents of Colorado double the in-state tuition rates. Current tuition and fees information can be found on the Office of the Bursar website. Information on financial aid and scholarships can be found on the Financial Aid website. Additional resources to finance your education include:
- MSU Denver recommends filling out the Dreamer and International Application (DAIA) for Institutional Aid form in place of the FAFSA.
- For questions on the DAIA form, please contact Financial Aid at 303-556-8593 or email@example.com.
- International Student Scholarships
- The Denver Scholarship Foundation (DSF)
- Grants for International Students
- Graduate Fundsoptions shared by the Gender Institute for Teaching and Advocacy (GITA)
To earn an MSU Denver MBA, students complete 36 credit hours, or 12 classes. Current coursework and sample degree plans are available here. MBA classes most frequently occur on weekday evenings from 5:30 pm - 8:20 pm, once per week.
MSU Denver boasts one of the most diverse student bodies in Colorado. We have been honored with several awards and designations including:
- In 2019, MSU Denver was recognized as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI)
- Diversity Champion Award recipient in 2016, 2017, and 2018 from Insight Into Diversity Magazine
- Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award recipient 2014-2018 from Insight Into Diversity Magazine
- MSU Denver became the first university in the United States to admit DREAM Act-qualifying students
- Denver is the capital of Colorado and the largest city in a 600 mile radius.
- The city sits on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains at 5,280 feet above sea level with access to parks, hiking trails, skiing/snowboarding, watersports, camping, bike trails and more in minutes.
- Despite snowy conditions around our nearby ski resorts, Denver typically has 300 or more days of sunshine and an average winter temperature of 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 16% of Denver's citizens were born outside the United States
- 15 of Denver's 75 neighborhoods have a foreign-born population of 25% or more
- 34 Foreign Consulates calls the Denver Metro Area home
- Denver's Sister Cities include:
- Brest, France
- Takayama, Japan
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Karmiel, Israel
- Potenza, Italy
- Cuernavaca, Mexico
- Chennai, India
- Kunming, China
- Axum, Ethiopia
- Ulaanbaater, Mongolia