Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
What are the Peer Study Sessions?
The MSU Denver Mathematics Peer Study Program (MPSP) is a series of instructor-supervised learning sessions organized to supplement the course material from MTH 1080, MTH 1110, MTH 1112 and MTH 1310. It is designed to provide a structured environment of small groups where students will study and receive help from an instructor. Studying together is one of the best ways to learn, and since its inception in Fall 1993, the MPSP has been extremely successful in helping students learn the course material and develop self-confidence. Most of all, students who have participated enjoy the material more and have a high rate of success in their corresponding math class.
Who is Eligible for Peer Study?
- Anyone eligible to enroll in MSU Denver’s MTH 1080, MTH 1110, MTH 1112 or MTH 1310 can register for Peer Study Sessions.
- Students who are repeating a course for the 2nd time are strongly encouraged to participate.
- Students who are repeating a course for the 3rd or later time are required to participate.
- Additionally, the MPSP welcomes students who have been away from math for some time, who do not have a complete understanding of certain algebraic concepts, or who feel they would benefit from a structured atmosphere.
Who is Required to take Peer Study?
- The MPSP allows students who do not adequately pass the preassessment exam to still take their desired course. A student who does not pass but receives a placement score at the "window" level may register for a math course as long as they also register for and regularly attend one of the corresponding Peer Study Sessions.
- Students who have completed the prerequisite algebra at Community College will be required to enroll in MPSP in order to enroll in MTH 1110-College Algebra for Calculus, MTH 1112-College Algebra Through Modeling, or MTH 1310-Finite Mathematics for Management and Social Sciences; however, these students are encouraged to take the placement test prior to enrollment.
- NOTE: Students who are required to take the Peer Study Supplemental classes MUST enroll in a face-to-face section of the regular class; they may NOT enroll for an online section of the regular class.
Like other courses, Mathematics Peer Study Sessions have CRN numbers, and you add the sessions to your schedule through web registration. There is a $90 program fee for Peer Study. Due to limited size, it is important that those students who are registered for Peer Study attend regularly. Additionally, students required to take Peer Study and who fail to attend will be dropped from the peer study and the corresponding math course.
PRIOR TO ENROLLMENT IN THEIR DESIRED MATH COURSE, STUDENTS WHOSE TEST SCORES ARE IN THE "WINDOW" MUST SEE AN ADVISOR IN THE ACADEMIC ADVISING CENTER (SSB 170) OR THE MATHEMATICS PEER STUDY OFFICES (SI 1030/1032) TO SIGN THE PEER STUDY AGREEMENT.