Strategy, Marketing and Communications
Marketing and Communications reports to and works closely with the President’s Office as well as the Advancement and External Relations division to position MSU Denver as the preeminent public urban university in the nation.
We work internally and externally to position the University on the launchpad to further success. Our department handles:
- Internal Communications
- Campus Web Communications
- Campus Signature Event Promotion
- Media Relations
- Legislative Relations
- Marketing the University
- External Signature Event Promotion
- Social Media
External Signature Event Promotion
Marketing and Communications plays a key role in promoting and managing University-wide and signature events, reaching out to local, state and national communities.
External events that we promote include the Rachel B. Noel and Richard T. Castro Distinguished Visiting Professorships.
Our event promotion efforts include creating news releases and media alerts, websites, invitations, emails, posters, flyers, programs, advertisements and brochures; forecasting; and managing event logistics, budgets and vendor relationships.
We increase awareness among state legislators and the general public of MSU Denver’s unique role and mission. To do this, we coordinate meetings between University administrators and key legislators, organize and conduct a monthly MSU Denver legislative caucus, and prepare communications materials for these meetings.
Marketing and Communications uses a variety of social media to engage the MSU Denver community directly. Through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Linkedin, Vimeo, YouTube and Flickr, we reach thousands of people who are interested in keeping up with news at the University and connecting with others.
We use social media to showcase student and faculty work and highlight MSU Denver experts, as well as resources available to the public. We post news about the University that appears in mainstream media sources, as well as stories that are exclusive to our social media followers.
In addition, our social media platforms allow us to truly engage the community by providing two-way communication that enables back-and-forth discussion.
Marketing the University
Using a research-based approach, we develop advertising campaigns and marketing strategies for Universitywide initiatives. These support student recruitment and retention, alumni and community awareness, all while building the University’s brand. Vehicles we employ include television and radio commercials, street banners and billboards, as well as print and electronic ads and publications.
External communications relates to the department's relations with the community outside of MSU Denver. The school views establishing a strong relationship with the community as a top priority.
Our external communications products include:
- MSU Denver Insider, the official newsroom for the University
- Metropolitan Denver Magazine
- MSU Denver's viewbook and other admissions materials
- alumni and development communications
- marketing materials
- signature event planning and promotion
- and a host of other publications
We also work with print, broadcast and online media, the local community and state government.
Through our comprehensive news media relations program, we serve as the primary liaison between MSU Denver and local, state and national news media in the following ways:
- Work with administrators to communicate with the news media on issues affecting MSU Denver as well as higher education as a whole
- Conduct high-quality media training sessions to help faculty tell the MSU Denver story effectively with the news media
- Demonstrate MSU Denver’s wide appeal by generating news media coverage of programs and projects that make a difference and of individuals who are forging new ground
- Provide a conduit for faculty to share their expertise with the news media, which gives insight to important issues while furthering the University’s reputation for providing the most relevant classroom experience
In addition to working with the news media on a daily basis, we produce the MSU Denver Fact Sheet, the MSU Denver Faculty Experts Guide and many news releases throughout the year. The online MSU Denver News Room provides top stories, news releases and other information for the news media.
External Web Communications
We work with MSU Denver to use the Web to maintain connections with constituents.
Marketing and Communications manages the overall look and feel of MSU Denver’s website, as well as the Student Hub. As part of this effort, we create, publish and maintain all promotional information linked to the University’s main site. We also manage the MSU Denver News Room and social media.
We work closely with the Division of Information Technology and the Educational Technology Center to implement Universitywide technology initiatives.
Campus Signature Event Promotion
Marketing and Communications promotes and manages University-wide and signature events hosted by the President’s Office and the Advancement and External Relations Office for the campus community.
Ongoing internal events that we promote include the Welcome Back Ceremony held for faculty and staff each fall, the annual scholarship dinner, commencement ceremonies, and faculty and staff appreciation events such as the winter holiday party and the spring barbecue.
Our team promotes these events by developing news releases and media alerts, websites, invitations, emails, posters, flyers, programs, advertisements and brochures, forecasting, and managing event logistics, budgets and vendor relationships.
The Office of Marketing and Communications is charged with keeping the University community up to speed on the latest news from campus and beyond.
We get the word out to faculty, staff and students with the following tools:
- MSU Denver website
- The Early Bird, which is emailed to faculty and staff daily and features campus news, major announcements, updates on legislative issues and other matters that affect the University
- The Insider, MSU Denver's newsroom featuring in-depth news and human interest stories
- Insider news feed, a biweekly digest of stories from the newsroom emailed to the campus community and a variety of external constituencies
- The 'Runner, a weekly email for students produced in collaboration with Student Engagement and Wellness
- Metropolitan Denver Magazine
- Student Hub
- Emails promoting various signature events
To inform faculty, staff and students of important MSU Denver news and individual accomplishments, Marketing and Communications creates and distributes multiple electronic news publications:
- MSU Denver suite of electronic publications – The MSU Denver suite of electronic publications includes the official University newsroom the Insider, The Early Bird, which is emailed to faculty and staff daily and featuring campus news, major announcements, updates on legislative issues and other matters that affect the University and the Student Hub.
- Metropolitan Denver Magazine, published three times per year to keep MSU Denver alumni and friends informed of University initiatives and successes.
Campus Web Communications
Given MSU Denver’s ever-increasing emphasis on technology to move toward a paperless and green campus, we put a high priority on Web communications.
Marketing and Communications manages the overall look and feel of MSU Denver’s website, as well as the Newsroom Archive and the Student Hub. We also manage the The Early Bird, The Insider and several other content channels.
We work closely with MSU Denver Information Technology Services to implement University-wide technology initiatives.