Skip to main content Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

International Business Study Abroad Program

1.  How do I apply to participate in this program?

You will need to contact Debbie Gilliard in AD 525H, 303.556.4682, for an application.  You will need to complete the IBS application.  Return the completed forms, along with passport photos, and a check for $500 (deposit) to Debbie Gilliard.  Final payment is due 30 days prior to the start date of the trip.

2.  How do I apply for a Passport?

You will need to go to the main post office in your area to obtain an application.  Along with the application you will need a birth certificate and 2 passport photos.  Return the completed form and payment to your post office.  Allow 30-60 days for processing.

3.  Will I need any immunizations?

The Department of Health recommends all travelers receive Hepatitis and Tetanus shot.  You may go to Denver Public Health at 605 Bannock get the shots.  Check the website for the Center for Disease Control at and go to "traveler's health"  for immunization recommendations. 

4.  How many credits do I receive?

This is a 3 business credit hour Independent Study Course.  Contact Debbie Gilliard.

5What are the requirements for the course and how do I earn my grade?

There are no pre-requisites for this course.  It is recommended that you have completed an International Business Course (such as MGT 3820, MKT 3710, FIN 3100, or ECON 3550) to help you better understand the information you will receive while on the trip.  You are graded on attendance, participation, citizenship, and are required to complete a written paper summarizing and analyzing the companies visited within 60 days of your return.

6Can I apply for Financial Aid?

Financial aid is now available at MSU Denver.  Students need to talk with a representative at the Metro Office of International Studies and a representative in the Financial Aid Office.  There are private sources for student loans that you might check out. I do not endorse any particular student loan source and encourage students to thoroughly check the company.

7.  How can I maximize my safety as an American traveling in Europe?

Tourists are readily identifiable by pickpockets and other thieves.  You can best protect your documents by wearing a money belt at all times.  It is suggested that men do NOT keep a billfold/wallet in a rear pants pocket.  Put a rubber band around the wallet (adds resistance) and keep it in a front pocket or jacket pocket.  Another possibility is to attach a chain to the wallet and to a belt buckle.  Women should make sure that purses are close to you and that all zippers/closures are used.  If possible, wear the shoulder strap across your body.  Do NOT keep valuables (passport, credit cards, cash) in wallets or purses --- keep them in your money belt.  If you use a backpack, wear it in front of you.  In crowds, it is very easy to open a pocket on a backpack.  You are vulnerable anywhere --- hotel lobbies, tourist areas, subways, etc.  Be alert and help each other keep watch on your surroundings.  Keep a photocopy of your passport in your suitcase and take along 2 extra passport photos, just in case.  Money belts can be purchased at discounters (such as Target) or luggage stores.

8What do I wear?

When visiting businesses you need to wear business attire.  For men that is a sports jacket and dress pants or a suit.  For women, that is a suit, pant suit, or business dress.  Wear comfortable dress shoes as you often walk a distance to get to a business.  During other times you will want to wear comfortable clothes, jeans, shorts, etc.  Be certain to take an umbrella and jacket (London can be cool even in June).  It is recommended that you have a 2-color scheme such as blue & black, blue & gray, black & tan, for your pants/skirts/jackets.  Then accent with a variety of tops/shirts/blouses.

9How do I pack enough clothes for the trip?

You can find Laundromats in Europe and use them during the trip.  You may also wish to hand wash some clothes.  If you hand wash, do it on the first day you arrive in a hotel as it may take 48 hours for clothes to dry.  You can also wear most pieces of clothing 2-3 times.  You must handle all of your own luggage and you may only have 1 large piece of luggage.  You may want to consider a 28”-30” Pullman-type suitcase that is on wheels.  Put your essentials (i.e. medications) in your carry on luggage.

10.  Will my electrical appliances work in Europe?

Not without a little help.  Curling irons do NOT work at all.  It is recommended that you purchase a non-electric curling iron.  You may also wish to purchase a converter so that you can plug in a hair dryer.  Electricity in Europe runs on 220 while in the US we use 110.

11.  Will I have a roommate?

Prices for this trip are based on double-occupancy at the hotels.  Typically you will be assigned a new roommate in each city you stay in.  Take advantage of this and meet new people.  It is recommended that friends do not stay with one another in the hotels for the entire trip --- too much of one person can ruin a friendship.

12.  How much money should I take?

Breakfast is included, but you will be on your own for lunch and dinner.  You can find inexpensive local fast food type restaurants or you can eat in upscale restaurants.  If all else fails, you can usually find a McDonald’s, Burger King, or Pizza Hut.  In addition, you may want to purchase some souvenirs.  Some of the businesses you visit may offer you a discount on any items you purchase and you may wish to take advantage of this opportunity.  It is suggested that you have about $200 US cash, and a credit/debit card (there are many ATMS available) to give you about $1000 spending money.

13How do I obtain local currency?

You do not need to exchange money prior to leaving the United States.  When you arrive at the airport of your destination city, after clearing customs, you can exchange money at bank kiosks or money exchange kiosks in the airport.  Typically, the local hotel will be able to exchange currency.  ATMs are available throughout Europe and your credit/debit card can be used to obtain local currency.  Local banks are also available and many cities have currency exchange businesses with many locations throughout the city.  European countries use the euro, however England, Switzerland, and Denmark maintain their own currencies.

14.  What happens when I arrive in the city of destination in Europe?

Prior to landing, flight attendants typically hand out customs declarations forms for you to complete.  When you land you will go through immigration and have your passport stamped.  Then proceed to baggage claim.  Once you retrieve your bags you will go through customs and officials will take your declaration form and may ask to see your passport or search your luggage.  Upon leaving customs you will be in the main part of the airport terminal.  Look for someone holding an “International Business Seminars” sign.  Also, be sure to put luggage tags from IBS on your suitcases so the IBS greeters can more easily find you.  The professors have a list of who is arriving on what flights, so they will watch for you.  Once you find the IBS representative, they will direct you to transportation (typically a coach/bus) to take you to the hotel.  Usually the first evening that you arrive you are on your won and then orientation is the next morning.  At orientation you will meet the other students and be given instructions about what will happen.

Relax, have fun, and remember that when you are experiencing another culture there is not good or bad, things are just done differently.





Edit this page