Department of Journalism & Media Production
Important Advising Announcements
Degree Progress Report - Your degree progress report is an academic advising tool that students use in conjunction with their advisors throughout their academic careers. Students who are declared for the 2012 catalog and after use Degree Works for advising. For more information, see here.
Academic Advising - Your catalog is available on the University Catalog. When you meet with an advisor, bring a copy of your Degree Progress Report and come with specific questions. This will make for an efficient advising session and allows us to address your concerns.
Registration Holds - There are many reasons you may not be allowed to register; these can range from not providing immunization documentation to not completing your required math course within 45 credits. If you have a hold on your account, check your 'Student Hub' (under the 'Course Info' section is a button for 'Holds') to find more information about it, or you can contact the College of Health and Applied Sciences Advising Office. If the hold is specific to the department, you may meet with your department's faculty advisor.
Helpful Advising Forms and Tools for Students
- Class Scheduler: Class Scheduler is a tool that simplifies the registration process and helps you find classes that fit around your busy schedule. Select the courses that you need to take, plug in your work schedule, breaks, or other commitments and simply choose from the different schedules that work best for you!
- FERPA Release : FERPA protects your student's educational records. In compliance with FERPA, MSU Denver will not release your educational records to anyone but you unless you specifically ask us to do so.
- Grade Appeal: For students appealing a grade in a course. Students need to review the Grade Policy and Procedures Manual before filing a petition.
- Late Enrollment: This form is for students who need to register for a class after registration dates have closed.
- Managing Your College Schedule: Students can use this fillable form to prioritize activities and aspects of their daily lives and plan out their schedules to balance life with education.
- Major/Minor Declaration : This form is for students who are declaring or changing their currently declared major or minor. Students must complete this form and take it to the respective major or minor department for signatures.
- Petition for Course Overload Exception: For students who wish to enroll in more credits beyond the maximum set for a semester.
- Time Conflict Request: This form allows students to request permission to take a course that may overlap with another course. Students will need to indicate how they plan to make up any missed time from the courses and receive signatures from both instructors.
- Transfer Course Approval: Students who have a course that did not transfer after Transfer Services have completed an official transfer evaluation of their credits. Take a copy of this form to the academic department that offers the course at MSU Denver for approval (e.g., a math course, contact the Math department).
- Transfer Previous Degree: If a program requires that certain previous coursework be pulled out of a student's first degree and applied to their program at MSU Denver, it appears on their Degree Progress report, a departmental advisor must complete this form.
How to Make an Advising Appointment
Advising Appointment Options
Please indicate which option works best for you (in the notes section) when scheduling your appointment.
1) Phone Advising
Your faculty advisor will be able to call you for an appointment over the phone. Please provide the phone number you would like to be contacted. They will call you for your scheduled appointment.
2) Virtual Advising
Your faculty advisor will send you a link to connect online for a video call appointment using Microsoft Teams. Please check your email on the day of your appointment to make sure you receive the video call link. Using this option will allow your faculty advisor to share their desktop with you, so you are both viewing the same documents at the same time.