Department of Journalism & Media Production
Note: In most cases, technical communication students enroll in COM 4790 – Senior Seminar.
Goal Statement for COM Senior Seminar
At the end of the course, students should demonstrate attainment of each of the following goals.
- Final class project demonstrates ability to prepare/incorporate critical audience analysis.
- Final class project demonstrates ability to prepare/incorporate critical project analysis.
- Final class project demonstrates ability to develop a communication project commensurate with a given corporate culture.
- Final class project demonstrates ability to write and/or develop a project at a level considered professional within the discipline.
- Final class project demonstrates ability to communicate complex issues to a narrowly defined audience to meet the specific needs of that audience.
Upon completion of a degree program in Journalism, students should be able to:
- Promote critical thinking and evaluation of sources
- Apply AP style in writing
- Analyze basic ethical and legal constraints governing the actions of professional journalists and PR specialists
- Demonstrate professional, collaborative behavior
Students evaluate the ethics of journalists’ actions using at least two paradigms for ethical action:
- Students demonstrate knowledge of freedoms contained in the 1stAmendment
- Students describe the importance of free expression
This data is collected and evaluated on a yearly basis