Department of Health Professions
Health Care Management Major Requirements
- Classes in the major are offered in the day or evening either spring or fall semester on a rotating basis.
- Classes in the major are offered in the one-day-a-week format.
- Classes in the major are offered on-line, also on a rotating basis.
- Classes with low enrollment may be canceled.
- We recommend that you meet with your advisor once per semester, prior to registration, or, at least once a year.
- Advisors can help plan your schedule or courses, review CAPP reports, discuss minors, assess your status regarding graduation requirements, and provide career counseling, etc.
- Students interested in learning more about prior learning assessments (PLAs) for HCM 3010 and HCM 3600 can contact the Prior Learning Specialist, Brandy Schooler at 303-605-5574 or speak to an advisor in the HCM Program.
- It is highly recommended that General Studies and Support Courses be completed prior to enrolling in HCM courses.
- Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in all courses required for the major and minor (HCM and all required support courses) in order to progress through the program.
- Courses with grades of less than "C" must be repeated prior to the student taking any other courses for which the first course is a prerequisite.
- Students interested in learning more about the process can contact the Prior Learning Specialist, Brandy Schooler (303-605-5574).
- Students entering the Health Care Management Program can prepare to take exams in two courses: HCM 3010 Health Care Organizations and HCM 3600 Health Information Systems. Prior Learning Assessment may be awarded towards your major credits.
FA - Fall
SP = Spring
SU = Summer
REQUIRED SUPPORT COURSES FOR MAJOR
|Course Number||Course Description||Credit Hour(s)||Prerequisite
|ACC 2010-3||Principles of Accounting I||3||See the university catalog||FA, SP, SU|
|ECO 2020-3||Principles of Economics - Micro||3||See the university catalog||FA, SP, SU|
|MKT 3000-3||Principles of Marketing||3||Must be of junior standing||FA, SP, SU|
MTH 1210-4 or
Introduction to Statistics
Intro to Statistics for the Social Sciences for Non-majors
See the university catalog
See the university catalog
FA, SP, SU
FA, SP, SU
REQUIRED HEALTH CARE MANEGEMENT MAJOR COURSES (42 CREDIT HOURS)
|Course Number||Course Description||Credit Hour(s)||Prerequisite||Semester Offered|
|HCM 2010||Global Health Systems||3||
General Studies Communication Requirement *HCM Majors may not use for Global Diversity Requirement
|FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 2500||Health Care Management Foundations, Professionalism, and Applications||3||20 credit hours and General Studies Written Communication requirement met before enrollment in HCM 2500||FA, SP, SU|
Health Care Organization and Management
|3||Junior standing. Course is a prerequisite for several courses. See an advisor.||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 3030||Health Care Jurisprudence||3||HCM 3150 or may be taken concurrently|
|HCM 3400||Human Resource Management in Health Care||3||HCM 3150 or may be taken concurrently||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 3500||Health Care Research Methods||3||HCM 3150, plus MTH 1210||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 3600||Health Information Systems||3||HCM 3150 or may be taken concurrently||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 3700||Health Disparities in the U.S.||3||None||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 3800||Management in Long-Term Care||3||HCM 3150 or may be taken concurrently|
|HCM 4030||Financial Management in Health Care||3||HCM 3150 and ACC 2010||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 4040||Health Care Economics||3||HCM 3150 and ECO 2020||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 4300||Strategic Management in Health Care||3||HCM 3150 or may be taken concurrently||FA, SP, SU|
|HCM 4610||HCM Internship II||6||HCM 2500 (Must have an internship site and preceptor identified and meet with an advisor prior to enrolling in class.)||FA, SP, SU|
ELECTIVE COURSES (select a minimum of 3 hours from the following courses)
All courses are offered annually, on a rotating basis.
|Course Number||Course Description||Credit(s)||Prerequisite|
|HCM 3550||Leadership in Health Care||1||HCM 3150 or may be taken concurrently|
|HCM 3650||Public Health Survey||1||HCM 3150 or may be taken concurrently|
|HCM 3651||Epidemiology in Public Health||1||HCM 3150 or may be taken concurrently|
|HCM 3652||Environmental Issues in Public Health||1||HCM 3150 or may be taken concurrently|
|HCM 3750||Professional Practice Management||1||HCM 3150 or may be taken concurrently|
|HCM 3100||Entrepreneurship in Health||1||None|
|HCM 3200||Quality in Health Care||2||None|
|ITP 1700||Medical Terminology||2||None|
*All HCM Majors must also select a minor.