Department of Health Professions
Auraria Library Resources
Services and Resources for MSU Denver Health Care Management Students and Faculty at the Auraria Library
The Auraria Library is in the unique position of serving three schools of higher education on the Auraria campus: Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver), the University of Colorado at Denver (UCD), and the Community College of Denver (CCD). The presence of three schools on one campus guarantees a library collection that is more diverse, both in subject area and academic level, than the traditional college library. (This report describes the services and resources of the Auraria Library with attention to resources specifically purchased for Health Care Management.)
LIBRARY INSTRUCTION FOR STUDENTS
Both introductory and advanced library research instruction for Health Care Administration students and faculty is available. The library has state-of-the-art, hands-on, instruction rooms and excellent instructors.
Our research assistance staff is available to assist students and faculty with their research questions, either at our Ask Us Desk, via email or by appointment. They assist our students and faculty in using print resources, subscription databases, and the Internet. The library staff has both diverse skills and professional backgrounds and therefore can offer students and faculty a broad range of assistance.
LIBRARY LIAISON TO THE FACULTY
The Collection Development & Research Librarian for Professional Studies, Thomas J. Beck, acts as liaison to Health Care Management faculty. He orders materials, including those requested by faculty members; offers basic assistance with faculty curriculum or research-related questions; and keeps faculty up-to-date on new database systems, library materials, and library services.
The library's Interlibrary Loan Department has a turnaround for articles of approximately one week (articles are delivered to patrons via mail or email). Books, depending on where they are borrowed from, take one to two weeks. We also work with Prospector, a database that alerts users to the holdings of many libraries across Colorado. Prospector allows users to borrow books from those libraries, with a turnaround time of between 2-4 days.
The library provides it users with 163 Windows workstations, 12 iMac workstations, and 2 ADA computer stations, and each is connected to a printer. It offers access to various programs, such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Audacity, and Windows Movie Maker, as well as to the web browsers Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. There are five wireless network connections available in the Library, and students and faculty have access to 15 iPads, 29 laptops, and/or 50 calculators, all of which are available for checkout.
THE AURARIA LIBRARY ONLINE SYSTEM
Via the Library's homepage, the III (Innovative Interfaces, Inc.) system offers access to Skyline, the Library's catalog, which includes individual records for the hundreds of thousands of items available in our institution. These include books, documents, DVD's and much more. The homepage also gives our users access to almost three hundred article and research databases, librarian-created 'how-to' and class guides, and the Internet. Also available there is the discovery service Summon, from Serials Solutions, which is designed to provide access to all of the library's content, both in print and electronic format, through a single search box. Access to our homepage is available in the Library and through all campus labs and offices. Faculty, staff and students also have free access to all of the Library's online resources, including subscription databases, from off-campus.
Students and faculty have access to several thousand searchable, full-text books online, in numerous subject areas, via the Library's homepage.
HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT AND HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT-RELATED DATABASES OFFERED THROUGH THE AURARIA LIBRARY
- Business Insights: Essentials (from Gale Engage)
- Presents full text profiles, including histories, chronologies, civil claims, financial data and rankings, of US and international firms; articles from business journals, newsletters, and the business sections in newspapers; selected investment reports from Investext; industry overviews; and industry trade associations. Formerly called Business and Company Resource Center.
- Business Source Premier (from Ebsco)
- Business Source Premier supplies access to thousands of regional, national, and international scholarly business journals, business periodicals, and industry publications, on topics such as management, economics, finance, accounting, international business and much more. There is full text coverage for a high percentage of the titles. Includes embedded full page images for many of the full text journals. Also has country economic reports from the Economist Intelligence Unit, WEFA, CountryWatch and the Icon Group.
- Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health, aka CINAHL (from Ebsco)
- Index to professional literature in nursing and allied health fields including veterinary technology, medical imaging and therapies.
- Emerald Full Text (from Emerald)
- Provides full text access to journals in management, human resources, information management, library and information services, marketing, operations management, production management, and training and education. Also includes engineering journals.
- Films on Demand (streaming video) (from Films Media Group
- Online 24/7 access to more than 8,000 educational films and 95,000 video clips covering a wide spectrum of subject disciplines. Many of these streaming videos are close-captioned and titles may be embedded or linked in syllabi, course management shells, or other online environments.
- General Business File ASAP (from Gale Cengage)
- Index to business articles, many in full text. Incorporates Investext research reports and includes full text company and industry investment reports and directory listings for companies.
- Health Reference Center Academic (from Gale Cengage)
- Index to magazines and journals in the health and related fields, many articles available online. Provides access to the full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus the personal health information sources in the Health Reference Center.
- IBISWorld Industry Market Research (from IBISWorld)
- IBIS World Industry Research Reports provides current reports on U.S. industries. Each report consists of 30 to 40 pages of key statistics and analysis on market characteristics, operating conditions, current and forecast performance, major industry participants and more. The Library subscribes only to this section of IBISWorld.
- LexisNexis Academic (from Lexis Nexis)
- Full text coverage of many news, legal, and business resources.
- PAIS International (from Proquest)
- Index to public policy, social policy, and social science documents from journals, books, government publications and other resources.
- Sage Journals Online (from Sage)
- Full text access to hundreds of Sage journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Science, Technology and Medicine.
JOURNALS PURCHASES WITH HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT FUNDS
Each major discipline on the Auraria campus is allotted a certain amount of the library's material budget, based primarily on number of FTE students in the discipline. This list shows many of the journals purchased with funds allotted to Health Care Management.
This list contains journals that are available in the Auraria Library either in print or electronically, or in many cases both. Of those that are electronic, some are purchased as individual e-journal subscriptions, while others are made available through one or more of our online databases, such as those indicated above (it should be noted that these journals represent only a fraction of the large number of Health Care Management and Health Care Management-related journal titles available in these databases). Also, this list also does not include titles purchased for other disciplines that may be of interest to Health Care Management students and faculty, such a those purchased with funds that support Medicine or Business.
- AHA News
- Community Health Systems, Inc. SWOT Analysis
- Frontiers of Health Services Management
- Health Care: the Journal of Delivery Science and Innovation. Health Care Executive
- Health Care Financial Management Health Care Management Review
- Health Care Manager
- Health Care Registration
- Human Resources for Health
- International Journal of Health Planning and Management International Journal of Hospital Research
- Journal of Health and Human Services Administration Journal of Health Care Marketing
- Journal of Health Organization and Management Journal of Health Care Management
- Journal of Hospital Administration
- Leadership in Health Services
- Management in Health
- Marketing Health Services
- Quality Management in Health Care
- Universal Health Services, Inc. SWOT Analysis