The Gender Institute for Teaching and Advocacy - GWS Department
Located near the Colfax at Auraria lightrail station, our cozy space offers many in house services and resources which promote and sustain student success! Some of those include:
Miss our space? Us, too! Need our pantry? We can help! In order to continue serving our students remotely, we've turned our pantry into grocery store gift cards!
Here are the details:
Available to MSU Denver Students only. Each student is eligible to apply for a $50 gift card to King Soopers. There's a limited number of these available monthly, awarded on a first come first serve basis.
Click Here to Apply
If you are in need of immediate help or more long term assistance, please contact the MSU Denver Food Pantry by phone at 303-615-0006 or by email at email@example.com.
- Our Snack Stop offers free non-perishable items, frozen lunches, and on occasion fresh produce for students who are struggling with food insecurity and need something to eat while on campus.
- If you are in need of more than a snack, please notify one of our staff members so that we can connect you with more comprehensive food resources, such as the Roadrunner Food Pantry.
Our dedicated lactation spaces afford nursing parents a private space to pump and/or nurse their children. It is also available as a wellness room, a quiet room to take a nap, do homework, or just disconnect for a little bit. Both spaces are equipped with a sink, pump, and refrigerator. No appointment or key access necessary - just stop in any time during normal business hours!
- We also manage the lactation space in the Science Building, Room 2088. To gain card access, please first ensure that your Student ID Card is encoded (if you already have access to a locked space on campus such as a music room or lab, please skip to step 2):
- To get your card encoded, contact the Auraria Higher Education Center's Facilities Services, located on Seventh Street. We recommend calling 303-556-4296 to verify their hours of operation.
- Once your card has been encoded, send a request to Javonne Archibeque at firstname.lastname@example.org with your First & Last name, Institution, ID number, and if you are a student/faculty/ or staff member.
- To locate other lactation spaces on the Auraria Campus, please reference this map.
We offer free feminine hygiene and safer sex products to students.
- Our scholarship services educate students about the scholarship application process and give individual assistance to students in pursuit of scholarships. We offer virtual scholarship workshops, as well as one-on-one appointments.
- We also offer four annual scholarships and a Mini Grant. For more information about these opportunities, visit our Scholarships page.
To make an appointment with a Scholarship Tutor, give us a call at 303-615-2052
GITA program administrators actively assist students, faculty, and staff who are facing harassment and/or discrimination on campus. Examples of other services we advocate include the following:
- Triage for students in crises
- Referrals to on campus resources and community resources
- Financial aid assistance, including help with the FAFSA or DAIA
- Money management / Financial literacy
- Graduate school preparation
- Help with resumes, cover letters, and interview preparation
To make an appointment with our Retention and Success Advisor, give us a call at 303-615-2052
- Our space has always served as a gathering place for students to relax, study or do homework, and build community. It also serves as a meeting space for student organizations and groups coordinating programming that promotes diversity across campus. Particular emphasis is placed on the issues and concerns of underrepresented populations (e.g. students of color, low-income students, ASSET/DACA students, LGBTQ students, students with disabilities, and non-traditional students).
To request meeting space, please email GITA@msudenver.edu
- Please include the date and time of your reservation, the expected number of attendees, and if you will be serving food or have other special needs.
- If available, you will receive a confirmation email
- Note that the maximum occupancy is 39 people
Our team hosts a number of signature events each year, including, but not limited to:
- Bridge Speaker - March
- Women's Leadership Conference - March
- Triple F (Feminist F*cking Films) Series - Monthly
- Feminist First Mondays - Monthly
We also collaborate with a variety of other departments on campus to co-sponsor events, such as:
- Richard Castro Visiting Professorship - October
- Día de los Muertos - November
- Transgender Day of Remembrance - November
- The Clothesline Project - March
- Start Smart Salary Negotiaton Workshop - April
For more events & programming, check out our events section!
GITA offers a space with community computers for student use and printing (black & white) at no cost.