If you are a student with General Studies Course Transfer or Advising questions, please contact an academic advisor.
Curriculum is the purview of faculty, the content experts in their fields. The Faculty Senate General Studies Committee recommends the approval or disapproval of all courses proposed for General Studies designation to the Faculty Senate Curriculum Committee and in turn, the senate.
The Director of General Studies is also faculty and oversees the program as a whole, including its effectiveness.
The Director works closely with the General Studies Advisory Board. They focus on the implementation of the new General Studies program and General Studies assessment.
If you are faculty/staff/admin and have questions about the General Studies program, reach out to Keah.
Campus Box Number:
General Studies is an academic program that reaches across campus. The Director of General Studies is responsible for leading the General Studies Program to achieve a high quality educational foundation for the diverse students of MSU Denver. The Director enthusiastically and strategically communicates the purpose and mission of the General Studies program to administrators, faculty, staff, students, employers, and the community. Keeping a collaborative mindset, the Director works closely with faculty on the curriculum approval process and manages the regular assessment of the General Studies program. The Director helps train, motivate, and support faculty in collecting and reflecting on data related to the level of achievement of the General Studies student learning outcomes. These qualitative and quantitative results are reported by the Director. Through supporting faculty and other efforts towards seamless transfer and retention, the Director paves the way for excellent, relevant student learning at MSU Denver.
General Studies Advisory Board
- Written Communication: Jessica Parker, Associate Professor of English and Director of First Year Writing
- Oral Communication and Social and Behavioral Sciences: Devika Banerji, Assistant Professor Communication Studies
- Quantitative Literacy: Chris Harder, Associate Professor of Mathematics and Faculty Trustee
- Arts and Humanities: Liz Goodnick, Associate Professor of Philosophy
- Historical, Global Diversity, and Social and Behavioral Science: Todd Laugen, Professor of History
- Natural and Physical Science: Keah Schuenemann, Professor of Meteorology and Director of General Studies
- Kim Barron: AVP of Academic Effectiveness
- Bev Andes: Academic Effectiveness Data Manager
- Gabrielle Katz: Faculty Senate General Studies Committee Chair, Associate Professor of Geography