Frequently Asked Questions
Can plan between 2-3 hours a week on average to include the following requirements:
- 1 hour and 15 minutes weekly in fall and biweekly in spring
- Study hours once a week
- Throughout semester attend First-Generation Initiatives events
- Two thirty-minute one-on-ones per semester
- Family group activities
- In the 2020/2021 school year, each group ranged from 18-22 fellow First-Generation college students, with 80 total students in the program.
- When you are accepted into the program you will first confirm the family group meeting time and then will be notified who your family leader is.
- We will be doing rolling admissions into the program; this means that two weeks after each of the three deadlines will you be notified of your acceptance.
- If you need to switch family groups, contact your family leader right away. You and your family leader will discuss which group fits your schedule best. You can only switch during the first week of the semester.
- We are still determining the specifics on the program and whether we will move back to in-person. We are waiting to get some direction from our university leaders. Please check back later and keep an eye out on your emails for more details and updates.
Our workshops include several topics like:
- Leadership development
- Time management
- How to effectively study and take notes
- Resume writing and interviewing
- Networking and professionalism
- Resources on campus
- Much much more!
The service project in the Spring will be the time for you to apply the leadership skills you developed throughout the year! You and your family group will plan and execute a project that helps the Denver community. Giving back to the community will not only look great on a resume but enhance your leadership skills as well.
- Park Cleanup
- Denver Food Bank
- Food over the Rockies
- Volunteers of America
- Seven Cup
- Food for Thought
Center for Multicultural Engagement and Inclusion (CMEI)
First-Generation Initiatives is a program within the Center for Multicultural Engagement and Inclusion. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to swing by our office, give us a call, or email us. We would love to hear from you!
Questions? Contact CMEILearn More About CMEI
Jordan Student Success Building (JSSB) 237
890 Auraria Pkwy, Denver, CO 80204
P.O. Box 173362, Campus Box 39, Denver, CO 80217-3362