Skip to main content Skip to main content

Request for Independence

In order for the Office of Financial Aid to consider your appeal for independent status, you must provide documentation of extreme, unique and/or unusual family circumstances that prevent you from obtaining parental information. Examples of extreme, unique or unusual family circumstances include family abuse or neglect, parental desertion and other situations where contact between you and your parent(s) is strained or nonexistent. If one of these situations explains your relationship with your parents, please submit documentation of your situation and a Request for Independence Family Situation Appeal (DEPFAM) to the Office of Financial Aid. Submission of an appeal and documentation does not imply that the appeal will be approved.

Edit this page