External and Private Scholarship Guidelines
The following is pertinent information for donors and recipients regarding the processing of private scholarships at the Metropolitan State University of Denver.
- Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): Students must be in good academic standing (minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and 67% completion rate) for a scholarship to be credited to the student’s account. Students who have accumulated more than 180 credit hours are considered ineligible for aid. We will contact donors if students fail to meet SAP standards established by the university. Donors may request that their scholarship funds be returned, or they may authorize disbursement of their funds in writing at that time.
- Disbursement of Funds: Scholarship checks should be made payable to the Metropolitan State University of Denver and reference the recipient’s name(s) and MSU Denver student ID number(s) at the bottom of the check or on a separate letter. Note: making checks co-payable between the student and the university will delay disbursement of the scholarship funds to the student’s account.
- Unless otherwise specified by a donor in writing, all scholarship checks will be applied towards the current term in which they are received. If a scholarship is intended to be divided equally between multiple terms that should be specified in the letter sent from the donor. Also, if subsequent installments are anticipated donors should indicate so in the letter or on the check so the funds can be accounted for on the student’s account.
- Donor Contacts: Please provide the full name(s), contact person(s), address and phone number of your organization so that we can contact you if necessary.
- Enrollment Verification Request: If the student does not enroll, we will return the funds to the donors after census date, which occurs two weeks after the first day of classes each semester. If the donor requires verification of enrollment please contact the Office of the Registrar.
- Invoice Request: If the donor requires an invoice before a check can be issued, please contact the Office of the Bursar.
- Payment of Bills: It is the student’s responsibility to pay their bill on time. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will not waive late and service charges on scholarship payments that arrive in our office after the bill due date.
- Request for Transcripts: If the donor requires grade transcripts at the end of each semester, they should contact the scholarship recipients. It is the responsibility of the student to provide copies of their transcripts to their donors.
- Scholarship Designation Form: If a scholarship donor does not include a letter concerning the management of their scholarship award and would like to include additional information regarding the award the donor can complete the Scholarship Designation Form. This form can be obtained by visiting the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships or downloaded in PDF format by clicking this link: Scholarship Designation Form
- Release Form: If a scholarship is requiring information pertaining to enrollment, grades or financial aid information, the student must attach any requested forms and/or indicate the donor information by filling out the form on this link: RELS - Financial Aid Information Release
Please mail all scholarship checks and related correspondence to:
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Attn: Kelly Findley
P.O. Box 173362, Campus Box 2
Denver, CO 80217-3362