School of Education
School of Education Five-Year Strategic Plan – 2016-2021
Teach. Lead. Transform.
A Plan for Excellence in Education.
"The School of Education at Metropolitan State University of Denver prepares people who will Teach, Lead, and Transform."
Metropolitan State University of Denver's School of Education develops excellent teachers and educational leaders who engage in reflective practice and scholarly activity, and who are ethical decision makers and agents of social change. We do this by:
- Providing intellectually rigorous, culturally relevant curriculum that fosters pedagogical expertise, cultivates critical thinking, and promotes imagination;
- Facilitating clinical placements that incorporate a diversity of perspectives and experiences;
- Creating and sustaining mutually beneficial school and community partnerships;
- Collaborating across disciplines to advance the scholarship of teaching and learning; and
- Attracting and retaining innovative faculty who model expertise within their professional communities.
To strategically enact this vision, the MSU Denver School of Education has developed the following goals around excellence, inclusivity/diversity, and collaboration. Using information gathered from faculty, staff, community organizations, schools, school district personnel, and other stakeholders in PreK-12 education and teacher preparation, along with the MSU Denver Strategic Plan (Time of Transformation), the faculty and staff of the School of Education agreed on the following values and goals:
- Excellence: The SOE faculty, staff, and students are committed to excellence in teaching and educator preparation through data-driven decision making.
- SOE will be responsive to community needs by preparing excellent educators and educational leaders.
- SOE will demonstrate expertise (e.g. content areas, pedagogical practices, job responsibilities).
- SOE will evaluate and refine the process of providing students with high quality field placements with effective educators who demonstrate excellence in the field.
- SOE will provide services and resources to support all SOE students from recruitment through program completion.
- SOE will sustain its commitment to the Teacher Guarantee that allows graduates who have been found to lack knowledge or competency in teaching to return to the program to audit appropriate courses free of charge, as described on the SOE website.
- Inclusivity/Diversity: The SOE is committed to being representative and reflective of the population that it serves.
- SOE will demonstrate increased rates of inclusivity/diversity of our student population to represent the cultural and ethnic demographics of the communities they are being prepared to serve.
- SOE will actively recruit and work to retain faculty and staff that reflects the populations we serve.
- SOE will continually evaluate and improve academic programs and student services to ensure that students are prepared to meet the needs of the population they will serve.
- Collaboration: The SOE is committed to fostering collaboration among internal and external stakeholders dedicated to excellence in teaching and educator preparation.
- SOE will foster and support respectful and mutually beneficial relationships with schools, districts and educational facilities.
- SOE will develop and maintain respectful and mutually beneficial relationships with professional and community non-profit and for-profit organizations that align with SOE’s mission and strategic plan.
- SOE will engage in respectful and mutually beneficial collaborations with programs, departments, and units within the institution.
For information on the plan to measure progress toward each goal, please contact us at email@example.com.