Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Register for our spring courses today! We have a variety of in person and online (synchronous and asynchronous offerings) courses. Explore topics covering weather, climate change, geography/GIS, geology, environmental science and more!
Check out our course listings here:
The Environmental Science program is housed in the Earth and Atmospheric Science Department at the Metropolitan State University of Denver located on the Auraria campus in downtown Denver.
We offer the following:
Environmental Science Program Mission
The mission of the Environmental Science program is to provide a foundation for understanding issues and solving problems involving our natural environment. Students will be expected to take a variety of courses in numerous departments. The objective of the environmental science courses is to integrate multidisciplinary course materials. Students will be able to critically assess and evaluate environmental problems in Colorado, particularly in mountain and urban environments, and address topics such as sustainable community growth, pollution control, prevention, and reduction, water supply and quality assessment, waste management, site remediation, and environmental geologic hazards. Students will be prepared for careers in environmental and resource management, environmental risk assessment, environmental modeling, environmental monitoring and sampling, environmental policy and planning, site assessment and remediation, water quality analysis and treatment, habitat planning, or environmental geology.
Environmental Science Program Outcomes
- Students will be able to identify and explain environmental processes and human – environment interactions.
- Students will be able to apply interdisciplinary perspectives and approaches to environmental problems.
- Students will be able to critically assess and evaluate environmental problems at a local and global scale.
- Students will be able to acquire the ability to monitor and sample environmental conditions.
- Students will be able to design effective oral presentations and scientific papers.